Question regarding Greens theorem

In summary, the integral of the given function around the unit circle cannot be evaluated using Green's theorem due to the lack of continuous first order partials on an open region containing the circle and its interior. This is due to the restrictions on the values of x and y, specifically that x^2 + y^2 must be greater than 0.
Kuma

Homework Statement

I have some questions similar to this one. I have to just provide reasoning as to why this can or cannot be evaluated using greens theorem.

given f = x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dx + y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dy, and the curve c is the unit circle around the origin. Why can/cannot the integral of f around c be evaluated using greens theorem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said that because taking P as the first term and Q as the second term of f, they both don't have continuous first order partials on c (which is a condition for greens theorem) because there are restrictions on what x and y can be (ie x^2 + y^2 > 0). I'm not sure if that is right though if someone can clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kuma said:

Homework Statement

I have some questions similar to this one. I have to just provide reasoning as to why this can or cannot be evaluated using greens theorem.

given f = x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dx + y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dy, and the curve c is the unit circle around the origin. Why can/cannot the integral of f around c be evaluated using greens theorem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said that because taking P as the first term and Q as the second term of f, they both don't have continuous first order partials on c (which is a condition for greens theorem) because there are restrictions on what x and y can be (ie x^2 + y^2 > 0). I'm not sure if that is right though if someone can clarify.

That's the right idea. P and Q must have continuous partials on an open region containing C and its interior, not just on C. And the problem with the partials is at (0,0).

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region inside the curve. It is used to calculate work done by a vector field over a closed curve and to evaluate certain types of integrals.

2. How is Green's Theorem used in real-life applications?

Green's Theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to calculate the flux of a vector field, which is important in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It is also used in calculating work done by a force over a closed path and in solving boundary value problems in partial differential equations.

3. What are the conditions for Green's Theorem to be applicable?

In order for Green's Theorem to be applicable, the region enclosed by the curve must be simply connected, meaning that any curve drawn inside the region can be continuously deformed into any other curve without leaving the region. The curve itself must also be smooth, meaning it has a continuous derivative.

4. How is Green's Theorem related to Stoke's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a special case of Stoke's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem. All three theorems relate line integrals to surface integrals, but Green's Theorem only applies to 2-dimensional regions, while Stoke's Theorem applies to 3-dimensional regions and the Divergence Theorem applies to any number of dimensions.

5. Why is Green's Theorem important in vector calculus?

Green's Theorem is important in vector calculus because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving vector fields. It simplifies certain types of integrals and allows for the calculation of work and flux over closed curves. It also has applications in physics and engineering, making it a valuable tool for solving real-world problems.