Forces on a pressurized tin can of beans

• Thread starter billybomb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the amount of force a tin can can support before failing. The person has tried various methods, including short column buckling and stress calculations, but is still unsure. They ask for guidance and provide the dimensions and assumed yield stress of the can. They also mention finding a resource from NASA that may be helpful. The conversation also touches on the internal pressure of canned goods and how it may affect the strength of the can. Overall, the main focus is on determining the crushing force needed for a tin can.
billybomb
Hi

So I'm trying to find out how much force a tin can, can support before failing. The can will be stood up as it should be with a force applied over the top across the area of the can.

I've tried the process of short column buckling to no avail.

I've also tried axial and hoop stress for thin walled pressurized vessels.

I keep getting silly numbers and am now completely lost.

Also, would you assume that pressure inside the can is the same as atmospheric?

So here are the numbers:

Length = 109mm
Diameter = 74mm
Assumed yield stress of 590n/mm^2
Atmospheric pressure = 0.101325n/mm^2

Any direction or help would put my mind at ease, thanks

I've found http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690013955_1969013955.pdf
Is page 14 the part I am look for?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Without knowing the thickness of metal in the can, you won't be able to even hazard a guess. It is also important to know if the sides of the can are rolled straight or if they might have any corrugations.

Yea, sorry forgot to include that...

Thickness = 0.4mm

The sides are corrugated, but I am just after the basic theory of the crushing force needed.

I've got 53683.1N using Axial stress for thin walled cylinders

Also tried a basic calculation of Stress = F/A + Pressure*pi*r^2 and rearrange for F

I've also found that the internal pressure of a can of beans is 30psi or 206842.72 N/m^2

Thanks alot

Last edited:
No ideas? :<

If your can of beans has an internal pressure of 30 psi, I suspect that the beans have spoiled. Usually, canned food is vacuum packed to eliminate any air inside the can which might promote spoilage of the contents. Carbonated beverages obviously are an exception, as the internal pressure inside the can provides resistance to collapse of the can.

If the can is vacuum packed, wouldn't that mean the tin has negative internal pressure and would deform laterally?

Not necessarily. Although cans are not infinitely strong, they do have some strength. That's why the thickness of the metal and what kind of corrugations are important in trying to determine the strength of the can. After all, even if a perfect vacuum forms inside the can, the maximum atmospheric pressure is still only about 15 psi.

SteamKing said:
After all, even if a perfect vacuum forms inside the can, the maximum atmospheric pressure is still only about 15 psi.

Be careful with that word "only". I prefer to think of it as nearly 1 ton per square foot, which doesn't sound quite so puny!

With the OP's can dimensions, 15 psi is about 100 pounds force on each end of the can. Somebody weighing 200 pounds might be able to stand on two bean cans without crushing them, but if the experiment failed it would make quite a mess.

1. What causes the pressure inside a pressurized tin can of beans?

The pressure inside a pressurized tin can of beans is caused by the gases released from the beans during the canning process. These gases are trapped inside the sealed can, creating a higher pressure than the surrounding air.

2. How much pressure can a pressurized tin can of beans withstand?

The amount of pressure a pressurized tin can of beans can withstand varies depending on the type of can and the amount of gas released during canning. On average, these cans can withstand pressures of up to 40-50 psi.

3. What happens if a pressurized tin can of beans is exposed to high temperatures?

If a pressurized tin can of beans is exposed to high temperatures, the gases inside the can will expand, causing an increase in pressure. This can result in the can rupturing or exploding if the pressure becomes too high.

4. Why do some pressurized tin cans bulge?

Pressurized tin cans may bulge due to a buildup of gas inside the can. This can happen if the can was not sealed properly or if the beans inside have begun to ferment, producing more gas. Bulging cans should not be consumed as they may be contaminated or at risk of exploding.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when handling a pressurized tin can of beans?

It is important to handle pressurized tin cans of beans carefully and avoid puncturing or damaging them. Cans that are bulging, leaking, or have a damaged seal should not be consumed. It is also important to store these cans in a cool, dry place to prevent excessive pressure buildup.