Underwater Pressure sunken ocean liner

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gauge pressure and depth of a sunken ocean liner using the given absolute pressure and density of surrounding saltwater. The formula Pabsolute = Pgauge + Patmosphere is mentioned, along with the equation P=Dgh for determining depth. The idea of converting atmospheres to N/m^2 is suggested, and it is clarified that gauge pressure excludes atmospheric pressure. The individual's calculations for gauge pressure and depth are confirmed to be correct.
velvetymoogle

Homework Statement

While exploring a sunken ocean liner, the principal research found the absolute pressure on the robot observation submarine at the level of the ship to be 413 atmospheres. The density of the surrounding saltwater was 1025kg/m^3. Calculate the gauge pressure on the sunken ocean liner. Calcuate the depth of the sunken ocean liner.

Homework Equations

Pabsolute = Pgauge + Patmosphere
P=Dgh

The Attempt at a Solution

For the gauge pressure, I know that atmospheric pressure is usually 1, but because we are underwater, isn't it a lot higher or is it the force that we feel that's high?
Is it just 413 - 1 = Pgauge?

Also for depth, I know you have to conver 412 atmospheres. Do you multiply it by 1.013x10^5 because that's the conversion factor with meters in it and then just divide by (1025 x -10) to get 4071.8m below the surface of the water?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed; a good idea is to convert things from atmospheres into N / m^2.

Though, you can combine these two equations =).

Gauge pressure excludes atmospheric pressure by the way.

No, I know that. That's why I subtracted one. My work is right though, yes?

velvetymoogle said:
No, I know that. That's why I subtracted one. My work is right though, yes?

All your work is fine. :smile:

1. What is underwater pressure?

Underwater pressure refers to the amount of force exerted by the weight of water on an object or surface submerged in it. The deeper the object is underwater, the greater the pressure it experiences due to the weight of the water above it.

2. How does underwater pressure affect a sunken ocean liner?

As a sunken ocean liner sinks deeper into the ocean, the pressure exerted on it by the surrounding water increases. This can cause the hull of the ship to collapse or implode, and can also cause damage to any air pockets within the ship.

3. Can underwater pressure be measured?

Yes, underwater pressure can be measured using specialized instruments such as pressure gauges. These instruments measure the force per unit area exerted by the water and can provide accurate readings of the pressure at different depths in the ocean.

4. Is there a limit to how deep an ocean liner can sink due to underwater pressure?

Yes, there is a limit to how deep an ocean liner can sink before the pressure becomes too great and causes the ship to collapse. This limit varies depending on the size and strength of the ship, but on average, most ships can withstand pressures up to 1,000 feet deep.

5. How does underwater pressure affect marine life near a sunken ocean liner?

The high pressure near a sunken ocean liner can affect marine life in different ways. Some species may be able to adapt and survive in these conditions, while others may not be able to withstand the pressure and may suffer from physical damage or even death.