Do grad schools look at your last semester?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of transcripts in graduate school applications. The original poster sent an early application but did not have their Spring 2007 grades yet. They wonder if grad schools base their decision on current grades or if they can just do the bare minimum in their last semester. Other users mention that grad schools typically look at the last two years of grades and may ask for an updated transcript upon graduation. They also mention the importance of maintaining a good GPA in order to succeed in grad school.
fizziks
I sent an application quite early to one of the grad schools I am applying. Apparently they wanted a transcript, so the transcript I sent was one in with Fall's semesters' grades. (I applied really early, like around March for Spring 2008 entrance, so I didn't have my Spring 2007 grades yet)

Do they base their decision on how I am doing NOW? Or once you get accepted, can you can just do the bare minimum to graduate for the last semester?

I remember when I applied for college in high school, they look at your junior year grades and just the classes you are planning to take in your senior year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I think they focus most on the last two years. If you bombed a class in first year, I doubt that would play any role at all.

I know most undergrads apply for grad school during their beginning of their senior year. Obviously they won't have the grades in yet for their senior year... what I am asking is would that mean that grad schools would ask for an updated transcript when you graduate?

Can they deny you after accepting you and seeing your grades for your senior year?

fizziks said:
I know most undergrads apply for grad school during their beginning of their senior year. Obviously they won't have the grades in yet for their senior year... what I am asking is would that mean that grad schools would ask for an updated transcript when you graduate?
Yes, I will imagine that they will ask you for an updated transcript, to prove that you finished your degree!

Can they deny you after accepting you and seeing your grades for your senior year?
Obviously, if you mess up your last year and fail everything then you're not going to get a graduate place.

I don't quite understand this post, however. You say you wish to carry on your education further, but then are basically asking if you can mess about for your final year, and not do any work. If this is your attitude, then I would suggest rethinking studying for a graduate degree.

I have a similar question: I will be applying for graduate school this fall (Fall '07), but I think most schools have applications due in early January. Are you grades for Fall '07 usually included? I know my friends received their acceptance letters during this spring semester, so I'm assuming my Spring '08 grades wouldn't be considered. I guess my question is, are the fall semester grades included?

cristo said:
I don't quite understand this post, however. You say you wish to carry on your education further, but then are basically asking if you can mess about for your final year, and not do any work. If this is your attitude, then I would suggest rethinking studying for a graduate degree.

I didn't say I want to fail my classes in my senior year. It's obvious that you won't be getting into grad school if you fail in the first place. What happens if you get all C's or whatever is the minimum for passing during your senior year? Would that cause a grad school to change their decision to deny you? Seeing as how your junior/senior are spent concentrating on your core major courses and those 2 years being the most important in your undergrad studies.

I'm just asking a general question if grad schools base their acceptance decision on just your 1st-3rd year transcript.

Grad schools look at your completed semester,not the semester your in. Upon finishing your undergraduate degree program, the grad school will want your competed transcript. Dont worry, the school will accept you based on your previous fall grades. most graduate schools know that senior fish there undergrad education with easy classess to boost their GPA. as long as you maintain a B average you will be fine.

I apologize for not answering the question in its entirety. If you have a C average your last semester. the grad school you have chosen may change their mind,because you have to maintain a B average to survive in grad school. A C average may indicate your inability to handle graduate level work. A C average in grad school is equivalent to a F in undergrad

1. Do grad schools only look at your last semester grades?

No, grad schools typically review your entire academic record, including all semesters, when considering your application. However, your performance in your last semester may carry more weight as it is the most recent.

2. Will grad schools consider extenuating circumstances for low grades in the last semester?

Yes, grad schools may take into account any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades in the last semester. It is important to communicate these circumstances with the admissions committee and provide any supporting documentation.

3. How much do grades from the last semester impact my chances of getting into grad school?

The impact of your last semester grades on your grad school application can vary depending on the school and program. Generally, grad schools will consider your overall academic performance, including your last semester grades, along with other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statement, and test scores.

4. Can I improve my chances of getting into grad school by doing well in my last semester?

Yes, a strong performance in your last semester can demonstrate to grad schools that you are capable of handling challenging coursework and can motivate them to overlook any lower grades from previous semesters.

5. Are there any specific courses that grad schools focus on when reviewing your last semester grades?

It depends on the program, but grad schools may pay closer attention to courses that are relevant to the field or program you are applying to. For example, if you are applying for a graduate program in biology, your grades in biology-related courses may carry more weight.