Digital Camera Software Compatibility with Windows Vista

In summary: If you want to try the software, get the driver from the website. http://www.vivitar.com/support.asp?model_id=21&modelname=ViviCam6150s...
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have a digital camera but the software does not support windows vista, i have been to the cameras website but there is not a solution listed, am i sunk or is there a way around it?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you download from it via USB I don't see how this would be a problem. Vista should recognise the camera as a mass storage device when you connect it and you can copy the images to a folder of your choice. That way you won't need the cameras software.

P.S. Happy Birthday wolly! :smile:

Kurdt said:
If you download from it via USB I don't see how this would be a problem. Vista should recognise the camera as a mass storage device when you connect it and you can copy the images to a folder of your choice. That way you won't need the cameras software.

P.S. Happy Birthday wolly! :smile:

Thanks kurdt, my daughter who is quite hot with computers tried that, Vista does not recognize the camera.

Strange that, the whole design of vista is that its supposed to easily detect any media devices and deal with them itself. It could be a driver issue. Whats the make and model of your camera? Have you installed the camera software on vista or is it not installing at all?

Does the camera have a setting to act as a disk (for computer connection) or as a computer (for direct connection to a printer) I forget the exact terms but USB has a master/slave protocol - one end has to be in charge.

Or you csn get a simple usb card reader for the SD/CF card the camera uses.

Kurdt said:
Strange that, the whole design of vista is that its supposed to easily detect any media devices and deal with them itself. It could be a driver issue. Whats the make and model of your camera? Have you installed the camera software on vista or is it not installing at all?
The CD is only for win 98, 2000 and XP how stupid is that, the camera is a vivitar vivicam 6150s.

hmm well I'm stumped. The camera website says they're all plug and play vista compatible which means they should be recognised by vista without pre-installing drivers. If you have tried to install drivers from the disk then this might be causing the problem so uninstall it if you have. Other than that you should contact the manufacturers to see if they know what it might be.

Vista (and XP) don't need drivers to access a remote USB disk - it sounds like the camera isn't presenting itself as a disk.

Kurdt said:
hmm well I'm stumped. The camera website says they're all plug and play vista compatible which means they should be recognised by vista without pre-installing drivers. If you have tried to install drivers from the disk then this might be causing the problem so uninstall it if you have. Other than that you should contact the manufacturers to see if they know what it might be.

Thank your for your help Kurdt, i will keep trying, the CD only made funny noises when i put it in, i am sure it did not install anything.

mgb_phys said:
Vista (and XP) don't need drivers to access a remote USB disk - it sounds like the camera isn't presenting itself as a disk.

Just my luck, thanks mgb.

Like mgb_phys said, just buy a USB card reader (probably $10 or so) for whatever type of memory card the camera uses, and plug it into a USB port on the computer. That's how I've always transferred pictures to my computer, using CF cards on my first digital camera, and SD cards on my current one.

Last edited:
Often these CDs install software that might make transferring pictures easier and software that helps do simple image-processing on them. But, as others have said, it's probably better to just get a USB or (for laptops) PCMCIA SD-card-reader... and skip the CD software. (The CD might have a useful manual that you might need to refer to someday.)

Can you browse the files on the CD? Maybe the CD is bad.

robphy said:
Often these CDs install software that might make transferring pictures easier and software that helps do simple image-processing on them. But, as others have said, it's probably better to just get a USB or (for laptops) PCMCIA SD-card-reader... and skip the CD software. (The CD might have a useful manual that you might need to refer to someday.)

Can you browse the files on the CD? Maybe the CD is bad.

The CD does not run just makes noises, i will get a card reader.

Thanks all.

wolram said:
The CD does not run just makes noises, i will get a card reader.

Thanks all.

If you want to try the software, get the driver from the website
http://www.vivitar.com/support.asp?model_id=21&modelname=ViviCam6150s [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
If you want to try the software, get the driver from the website
http://www.vivitar.com/support.asp?model_id=21&modelname=ViviCam6150s [Broken]

Thanks robphy, done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plug the camera into a USB port and turn it on in "play" mode, can you use Explorer to "see" it in your hardware? My cameras both can work that way (Olympus and Canon, as does my sister's - Nikon). Even if you can't use the software that shipped with the camera, you should be able to do drag-and-drop file transfers with Explorer.

Even if you do get the camera to be recognized by Windows,
note that the SD-card-reader method eats up no battery life.

wolram said:
The CD is only for win 98, 2000 and XP how stupid is that, the camera is a vivitar vivicam 6150s.
Usually those cds just contain stupid little applications to go with the camera that you don't really need. Have you tried just not installing the software and just plugging the camera in and accessing the memory card directly through windows explorer? It sounds like you are focusing on the CD, but you shouldn't need it at all.

russ_watters said:
Usually those cds just contain stupid little applications to go with the camera that you don't really need. Have you tried just not installing the software and just plugging the camera in and accessing the memory card directly through windows explorer? It sounds like you are focusing on the CD, but you shouldn't need it at all.
My daughter is the computer brain, she tried for 30mins to get win Vista to find the camera
with no luck, she is good ,she designs forums, and her intended is a service engineer for Equant, this is not saying they know every thing of course.

That's very odd for a camera not to comply with the USB mass storage spec, but anyway, a card reader is the next easier way.

First off, its Vista, newly released OS= many problems, especially Vista. I suggest go back to XP or even Linux to get rid of all problems like this. Currently I run xp, but I am looking into changing to Ubuntu (free cds available from their website) which is totally free, has bi-annual updates, etc. Anyways, the card reader is your best bet. Some printers even have them built it. Good luck

Hi I was looking for the Vista driver for the 6150s also and came across this thread, the camera DOES work with Vista BUT! you must lock the SD card for Vista to recognise it. If the card is in read/write mode it doesn't recognise it, take out the card and slide the catch up to lock and try it again.
The webcam function has still got me baffled but will post when I find a solution.
Dave

1. What is the minimum system requirement for digital camera software to be compatible with Windows Vista?

The minimum system requirement for digital camera software to be compatible with Windows Vista is a computer with at least 512 MB of RAM, a 1 GHz processor, and a graphics card that supports at least DirectX 9.

2. Can I use older versions of digital camera software on Windows Vista?

It is possible that older versions of digital camera software may work on Windows Vista, but it is not guaranteed. It is recommended to check with the manufacturer for compatibility or to upgrade to a newer version of the software.

3. How do I know if my digital camera software is compatible with Windows Vista?

You can check the system requirements of your digital camera software or contact the manufacturer for compatibility information. You can also search for user reviews or forums to see if other users have successfully used the software on Windows Vista.

4. Are there any known compatibility issues between certain digital camera software and Windows Vista?

There have been reported compatibility issues between certain digital camera software and Windows Vista, especially with older versions. It is important to check with the manufacturer for updates or patches to resolve any compatibility issues.

5. Can I use digital camera software designed for Mac on Windows Vista?

No, digital camera software designed for Mac is not compatible with Windows Vista. Each operating system has its own software and they are not interchangeable.