Expert College Advice for High School Seniors: Choosing a Major and Career Path

• Thread starter graemy
  • Start date
In summary: It's not too difficult, but it might be worth talking to an advisor at the college you're considering to make sure.
graemy
I am a high school senior, and I'm not sure what to do. I have to be applying to colleges around...now. I'm not sure what I want to study. I like physics, but I have interests in engineering as well. Engines, of various assortments, electrical components, electronic circuits all catch my wandering mind. I've passed the Nocti test for Electronics Technology, but I don't want to end up just testing electronic components for a job. I find physics to be very interesting, also. My dream job is to be a college professor. Could anybody offer an help?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be a college professor, you'll need a PhD in your field. If you're going all the way to the PhD, even if you don't get a job as a professor, a PhD in physics will take you pretty far. But you don't have to choose right now - go to a college that offers both engineering and physics, and take the intro classes for both - you'll need a few semesters of physics for engineering, at least. See if you can get an internship or something in the field(s) to get an idea of which you like more.

I intend on going to one that offers both. Is an AP course good enough to judge whether I will like physics or not? Or is there something I'm missing from an AP course? I think that(taking intro courses at college) would be my best course of action, though.

Like most things, taking a course in physics (especially a high school course) confers no real experience of what it is that physicists actually do. That's not to say that your interest now can't be genuine, just that it's not enough to guarantee anything. I knew a couple kids who thought they loved physics after high school, but then they could barely make heads or tails of introductory E&M, and became business majors after flunking out of intro to modern physics.

Anyway, the best way to really know if physics (and especially the academic profession) is right for you is to get involved right away in undergraduate research projects.

I know that UIUC (urbana) offers engineering physics and is a top-notch physics school ... if u take physics u can handle any type of engineering ... however if u change yr mind and want to do physics research it becomes a lil harder with strictly engineering courses ... ofcourse it depends on the courses too! I am sort of in a similar jam :) it's so hard to choose! So I pretty much end up fulfilling both requirements which means a much heavier courseload than the average college student!

I actually need advice too .. I am currently an international student studying at a 2 yr college however I am interested in transferring out ... scholarships would come in handy at the transfer stage ... can you suggest some unis which give need-blind aid to all applicants where ever they may be from? I know private unis are more likely to give aid to worthy intl students than public unis but if u cud suggest some it wud be great ... also please spread yr answer out over many different tiers because wouldn't bet all my odds on one (kind of) horse ...

also i agree that getting involved in research is the best to find out yr dedication to physics ... but physics and pretty much all sciences are abt dedication (which is a prereq for all research) ... not about flunking out per se ... but r u willing to try again? if u wud rather opt for a business course after flunking then physics never was for u ...

I agree that it is about dedication, but those kids I spoke of were extremely bright and went on to be very dedicated (and successful) business majors. My point was that physics is very aesthetically satisfying at the high-school/introductory level. I agree that physics was never for them, but to answer the question of being able to determine if you'll like physics after an AP course, there was no way they could have known coming in.

Ok, I'll apply under University studies, thanks for the help.

As an after thought, could I enter under engineering and if I like physics, switch? I heard that colleges tend to make it hard to switch out of engineering.

The classes for engineering and physics are very similar the first couple years, except that engineering students often have to take special introductory classes for different engineering fields. In my experience these classes can be pretty fun, so it's not a big loss if you do find that you'd rather be a physics major.

I've never heard of colleges making it difficult to switch out of engineering. I changed my major 5 times as an undergraduate. The first time I was convinced (incorrectly) that I had to talk to an advisor, which ended up being kind of a wash; subsequently I just turned in a form each time.

1. What should I consider when choosing a major in college?

Choosing a major in college is an important decision that can impact your future career path. Some factors to consider include your interests, skills, values, and career goals. It's also important to research the job market and potential salary for different majors to ensure that it aligns with your career aspirations.

2. How do I know if a specific major is right for me?

One way to determine if a major is right for you is to take introductory courses in that subject to see if you enjoy the material and feel motivated to learn more. You can also talk to current students or professionals in the field to gain insight into the day-to-day realities of that major.

3. Can I change my major once I start college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major once you start college. However, it's important to consider the potential consequences, such as having to take additional courses or staying in college longer. It's best to explore your interests and career goals before starting college to avoid frequent major changes.

4. What resources are available to help me choose a major and career path?

There are many resources available to help you choose a major and career path. Your high school guidance counselor, career center at your college, and online career assessments are all helpful tools. You can also talk to professors, alumni, and professionals in your desired field to gain more information and advice.

5. Should I choose a major based on potential salary?

While potential salary is an important factor to consider, it should not be the sole deciding factor in choosing a major. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as well as the potential job satisfaction and growth opportunities in that field. Remember that your major does not necessarily determine your career path and there are often opportunities to switch or advance in your career after graduation.