Heat exchanger for anaerobic digestion

In summary: The equation also takes into account the temperature difference between the inlet and exit, which can change with different pipe dimensions and velocities. Therefore, both the mass flow rate and equation are important factors in determining the required heat energy for the anaerobic digester tank.
cabellos2
I have a problem whereby sludge of quantity 1000 kg/day is required to fill an anaerobic digester tank. The sludge enters at 20deg and is heated to 35deg. With refernece to this link http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...+required+to+heat+sludge+anaerobic+digestion"
it can be seen that if I have a quantity of 1000kg/day then the formula shown can be used to calculate the heat energy required.

My problem is understanding the difference between this value of heat energy and the value Q for heat transfer in a heat exchanger. As Q = m*cp*(T2-T1) if I have a set flow velocity through the exchanger pipe of 1 m/sec and a pipe diameter my mass flow rate m works out greater than the 1000kg/day and thus my value of Q heat required is greater.

MAIN QUESTION >>>>
Does this mean that the mass flow rate through the exchanger dictates how much how much heat energy I require and not the amount suggested by the equation in the book link which does not take into account pipe dimensions and flow velocities??

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this equation you have an inlet and exit temperature (T1 and T2). If you changed the pipe dimensions and velocities you would likely get a different exit temperature. If you were designing this system you would not know the exit temperature and your your equation for T2 would include pipe dimensions and velocities.

cabellos2 said:
MAIN QUESTION >>>>
Does this mean that the mass flow rate through the exchanger dictates how much how much heat energy I require and not the amount suggested by the equation in the book link which does not take into account pipe dimensions and flow velocities??

Both the mass flow rate AND the equation dictate the required heat energy.

The equation gives the heat required in terms of the sludge mass. The mass flow rate tells you what the mass of the sludge (per day) is.

1. What is a heat exchanger for anaerobic digestion?

A heat exchanger for anaerobic digestion is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without the two fluids coming into direct contact. It is used in anaerobic digestion systems to maintain the ideal temperature for the bacteria to break down organic material.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by using a series of tubes or plates to separate the two fluids, while allowing heat to transfer from one to the other. The hot fluid enters the heat exchanger and transfers its heat to the cooler fluid, which then exits the heat exchanger at a higher temperature.

3. What is the purpose of a heat exchanger in anaerobic digestion?

The purpose of a heat exchanger in anaerobic digestion is to maintain a consistent and optimal temperature for the bacteria to thrive and break down organic material. This results in a more efficient and faster digestion process, leading to increased biogas production.

4. What are the different types of heat exchangers used in anaerobic digestion?

The most commonly used heat exchangers in anaerobic digestion are shell and tube heat exchangers, plate heat exchangers, and spiral heat exchangers. Each type has its own advantages and is selected based on factors such as the type of fluid, temperature requirements, and space limitations.

5. How important is proper maintenance of a heat exchanger for anaerobic digestion?

Proper maintenance of a heat exchanger is crucial for the smooth operation of an anaerobic digestion system. Regular cleaning and inspection can prevent buildup of organic material and debris, which can decrease heat transfer efficiency and lead to system failures. It is also important to address any issues or malfunctions promptly to avoid costly downtime and repairs.