Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
dlgoff said:
I have an old outdoor cat that I had to let in today and probably tomorrow too. She's about 12 or 13 years old and has never been "house broken" (if that's possible) and I don't own a kitty litter box. What should I expect in the morning? :yuck:

I wasn't able to go to work today because of 4 foot drifts down our 1/4 mile drive. Thank god for PF. At least I won't go crazy the next couple of days.

Cats are naturally house broken, they will seek out a place with sand, dirt, litter, etc. Find a shallow box and put some dirt in it...if the dirt is frozen and it won't shovel, improvise. Try shredded newspaper, maybe. I'm sure PFers will have other ideas.

Good for you for taking in an old cat on such a wicked cold night o:)!

Physics news on Phys.org
It was noted on the weather report that it was warmer in Fairbanks than it was in Atlanta, this morning.

Tsu is in Kuwaii right now; basking in the sun, and swimming in 80 degree water.

Edit: ...drinking a Bloody Mary, on the beach. [she just called and wanted me to add that :biggrin:]

Last edited:
lisab said:
Cats are naturally house broken, they will seek out a place with sand, dirt, litter, etc. Find a shallow box and put some dirt in it...if the dirt is frozen and it won't shovel, improvise. Try shredded newspaper, maybe. I'm sure PFers will have other ideas.

Good for you for taking in an old cat on such a wicked cold night o:)!
I was going to suggest shredded newspaper, cats like stuff like that, although Dr Foofer loved to sharpen his claws on paper and card board.

Okay thanks lisab. I don't take any newspapers, but I found enough paper to shred into a flat box. Tomorrow morning will tell if she likes it.

Ivan Seeking said:
It was noted on the weather report that it was warmer in Fairbanks than it was in Atlanta, this morning.

Tsu is in Kuwaii right now; basking in the sun, and swimming in 80 degree water.

Edit: ...drinking a Bloody Mary, on the beach. [she just called and wanted me to add that :biggrin:]
Tell Tsu she's mean. :tongue:

Evo said:
How's your weather?

Hot! Australia is having the opposite problem, with a heat wave, and it is expected to get worse in the next couple of weeks.

Can we arrange a trade? We have a couple of degrees spare available I'd like to send for you to use...

Hang in there. The storm you guys have been dealing with looks awful. Hope everyone is okay.

Cheers -- sylas

This http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm" [Broken] looks like Siberia!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowowowwo

Thats a pretty cool (no pun) picture.

Here in Milwaukee it is in the 20's and snowing, we should get about 4 more inches tonight.
Not too bad for us cheese heads. The 20's, that's short sleeve shirt weather here.

Last edited:
Hose your dogs down before putting them outside. They will be very efficient.

brrrr! It's 55 degrees F here. I'm putting on a jacket!

sylas said:
Hot! Australia is having the opposite problem, with a heat wave, and it is expected to get worse in the next couple of weeks.

Can we arrange a trade? We have a couple of degrees spare available I'd like to send for you to use...

Hang in there. The storm you guys have been dealing with looks awful. Hope everyone is okay.

Cheers -- sylas

Whereabouts in Aust., Sylas?

fuzzyfelt said:
Whereabouts in Aust., Sylas?

I'm in Newcastle, just north of Sydney; which is actually coping very well. Adelaide is in the news at present for a bad weekend coming up, expected to reach temperatures above 40 on the next three days. 2009 was Australia's second hottest year on record, after 2005.

Cheers -- sylas

PS. 40C = 104F.

Cold? oh... I'm at the Caribbean at the moment for winter break. I was just swimming in the beach, and drinking some pina coladas.. I think tomorrow I'll go surfing again.. Anyways, enjoy the cold, and stay warm..

It will be -11F tonight, without the wind chill factor. This is crazy.

Cyclovenom said:
Cold? oh... I'm at the Caribbean at the moment for winter break. I was just swimming in the beach, and drinking some pina coladas.. I think tomorrow I'll go surfing again.. Anyways, enjoy the cold, and stay warm..

what a nice optimistic attitude!

Today was a bit warmer than the previous few days. Around -23 (-9.4 F) at 8:30 and -20 C (-4 F) at 15:00. Here's hoping it rises further, though I'm beginning to get used to the chill. :rolleyes:

rewebster said:
what a nice optimistic attitude!

It's easy to be optimistic when you're on some Caribbean beach with a pina colada :tongue2:. Maybe we all should pay a visit to Cyclovenom!

lisab said:
It's easy to be optimistic when you're on some Caribbean beach with a pina colada :tongue2:. Maybe we all should pay a visit to Cyclovenom!

OK---would Jamaica be good, or... where ?

Still unseasonably warm here. This weekend we'll have highs in the teens, and that's the only "cold" on the horizon. Generally (before the last 2-3 years) we'd have stretches of weather with daily highs in the single digits or lower. I fear this will be another snowy winter if we don't start getting some nice dry arctic air-masses pushing through.

turbo--

I think the front that is over us (midwest) is heading your direction

rewebster said:
turbo--

I think the front that is over us (midwest) is heading your direction
I don't think it will make it this far north.

According to Inaccu-WeatherTM, apart from some light snow this afternoon (dusting to an inch, probably), we're looking at sun and daily temps in the mid-to-upper 20s for the next week. That is unseasonably warm here.

We're going to have wind chills of -35F tonight. It says at a wind chill of -30F frostbite will occur in 10 minutes.

Current temperature maps.

Attachments

• crazy cold 1-8-10.jpg
    crazy cold 1-8-10.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 358
  • cold wind chills 1-8-10.jpg
    cold wind chills 1-8-10.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 386
Hey!, I was at Minnesota until Dec 23rd, and that was cold enough... hahah

When I lived in Minnesota, the actual temps (not wind chill) got down to -35 F a couple of times----

talk about layering clothes---schools didn't close either

rewebster said:
When I lived in Minnesota, the actual temps (not wind chill) got down to -35 F a couple of times----

talk about layering clothes---schools didn't close either
Schools have been closed here all week, even churches.

rewebster said:
When I lived in Minnesota, the actual temps (not wind chill) got down to -35 F a couple of times----talk about layering clothes---schools didn't close either
Same here. It was often colder than 30 below when my buddy and I showed up for our ski-patrol jobs. The lift towers were very tall (over the tree-line) to clear the very steep terrain and head-walls, and the wind was always blowing up there. Luckily my patrol partner was a very pretty lady and we huddled together (it was warmer that way). For safety's sake, the operations manager wouldn't let us on the lift until the temps got up near 20 below, which put us in quite a bind time-wise because at least 2 patrol members had to ski every trail looking for hollows and drifts that needed to be groomed before we could let paying customers on the lifts. Overnight the winds often either piled up rock-hard drifts, or scooped out hollows leaving abrupt drop-offs.

Amsterdam NL was hit by winter heavily Yesterday. All traffic ceased to an halt it was http://www.hoofddorpsecourant.nl/page/Binnenland/Buitenland/Files-Amsterdam-pas-s-nachts-opgelost.476203.news [Broken] well into the night.

A Temperature record was shattered:

xms7s0.jpg

'Gem.' = 'Average'

Last edited by a moderator:
My thermometer reads 25°F. Feels... *puts on shades* ...colder.

Haha, I don't envy you people who live in countries that aren't equipped to deal with things like this :p Even though we have gotten tons of snow in Sweden all the roads are fine etc.

Klockan3 said:
Haha, I don't envy you people who live in countries that aren't equipped to deal with things like this :p Even though we have gotten tons of snow in Sweden all the roads are fine etc.
So true. I would love to have a storm politely limit itself to 6-8" for a change. Still, we're equipped to handle much, much more simply because it's a fact of life. Most homeowners have all the tools they need, and apart from consumables like salt, fuel, etc, don't have to rush around trying to buy shovels, scoops, and roof-rakes when we are forecast to get a couple of feet of the white stuff.

We got a really nice 4 inches yesterday, its beautiful, like frosting on a cake. A really cold arctic blast on the way for tomorrow, and I'm going sledding!

<h2>1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.</p><h2>2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.</p><h2>3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?</h2><p>The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.</p><h2>4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?</h2><p>The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.</p><h2>5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?</h2><p>During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.</p>

1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.

2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.

3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?

The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.

4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?

The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.

5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?

During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.