Linear Algebra - Representing Matrix

In summary, the map from R2 to R3 is a map from P2 to P3, with P2 being the function space of polynomials of degree <= 2, and P3 being the function space of polynomials of degree <= 3. Polynomial may be correct the way it has been written down, but I suggest you evaluate L at each of the three basis polynomials to see which gives you the matrix you are looking for.
Mumba

Homework Statement

The Question:

The map is given: [tex]L\rightarrow \Re_{2} \rightarrow \Re_{3}, p \rightarrow[/tex] p' + q*p , with q(x) = x.
Now i should find the representing matrix for L with respect to the bases {1+x, x+x2, 1+x2} for [tex] \Re_{2}[/tex] and {1,x,x+x2,1+x3} for [tex] \Re_{3}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what i should do here ^^. But i tried to calculate it.
p is the polynomial, so i thought its like this:
p = a0(1+x) + a2(x+x^2) + a3(1+x^2)

So i can calculate [tex]p\rightarrow p' +q*p:[/tex]
[tex]p\rightarrow a_{0}+a_{1} + 3a_{1}x + a_{0}x + 2a_{2}x^2 + 2a_{1}x^2 + 2a_{2}x^3[/tex]

Then i just counted the coressponding values together, means
a0 ~ 1+x --> 1 + 1 + 0 + 0
a1 ~ x+x2 --> 1 + 3 + 2 + 0
a2 ~ 1+x2 --> 0 + 0 + 2 + 2

Puting this all together gives the repr. Matrix
| 1 1 0 |
| 1 3 0 |
| 0 2 2 |
| 0 0 2 |

Is this somehow correct or completely wrong? ^^
I'm missing the second base here..
Does anyone knows a good website (linear algebra 1) ? I have exam in little more than week and still a lot to learn.

Thx
Mumba

Physics news on Phys.org
Mumba said:

Homework Statement

The Question:

The map is given: [tex]L\rightarrow \Re_{2} \rightarrow \Re_{3}, p \rightarrow[/tex] p' + q*p , with q(x) = x.
Now i should find the representing matrix for L with respect to the bases {1+x, x+x2, 1+x2} for [tex] \Re_{2}[/tex] and {1,x,x+x2,1+x3} for [tex] \Re_{3}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what i should do here ^^. But i tried to calculate it.
p is the polynomial, so i thought its like this:
p = a0(1+x) + a2(x+x^2) + a3(1+x^2)

So i can calculate [tex]p\rightarrow p' +q*p:[/tex]
[tex]p\rightarrow a_{0}+a_{1} + 3a_{1}x + a_{0}x + 2a_{2}x^2 + 2a_{1}x^2 + 2a_{2}x^3[/tex]

Then i just counted the coressponding values together, means
a0 ~ 1+x --> 1 + 1 + 0 + 0
a1 ~ x+x2 --> 1 + 3 + 2 + 0
a2 ~ 1+x2 --> 0 + 0 + 2 + 2

Puting this all together gives the repr. Matrix
| 1 1 0 |
| 1 3 0 |
| 0 2 2 |
| 0 0 2 |

Is this somehow correct or completely wrong? ^^
I'm missing the second base here..
Does anyone knows a good website (linear algebra 1) ? I have exam in little more than week and still a lot to learn.

Thx
Mumba
Your transformation is not a map from R2 to R3 - it's a map from P2 to P3, where P2 is the function space of polynomials of degree <= 2, and P3 is the function space of polynomials of degree <= 3.

yes, we called it R.
sorry i meant the same. A transformations from <=2 to <=3...

But R2 is not the same as P2, nor is R3 the same as P3. The dimension of R2 is 2, while the dimension of P2 is 3.

For this problem I would advise you to evaluate L at each of the three basis polynomials. Then write those three output polynomials in terms of the second basis. That should give you an idea of what the matrix for this transformation is.

Mark44 said:
For this problem I would advise you to evaluate L at each of the three basis polynomials.

But this is what i wanted to do ^^.
But i don't know how. I ve never seen this before...
Thats why i asked is that Polynomial correct the way i have written it down?

Maybe you can give me an example, let's say for 1+x...
What should i do with this?
Sorry but i really don't know...:(

Your formula is L(p) = p' + xp, so L(1 + x) = 1 + x(1 + x) = 1 + x + x^2. Do the same thing for the other two basis polynomials.

Thx!
then i get for:
L(x+x^2)=1+2x+x(x+^2)= 1 +2x+x^2+x^3
L(1+x^2)=2x+x(1+x^2)=3x+x^3

You said: write those three output polynomials in terms of the second basis.

so if i did this correct i get for
1+x --> 1 0 1 0
x+x^2 --> 0 1 1 1
1+x^2 --> -1 3 0 1

so my matrix is
1 0 -1
0 1 3
1 1 0
0 1 1

is this ok?

yeah its good
thx mate! ;)

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It can be used to represent data, perform mathematical operations, and solve systems of equations.

2. How is a matrix represented?

A matrix is typically represented by enclosing the elements within square brackets [ ], with each row separated by a semicolon. For example, a 3x3 matrix would be represented as [a b c; d e f; g h i].

3. What is the difference between a row and a column vector?

A row vector is a matrix with a single row, while a column vector is a matrix with a single column. Row vectors are typically used to represent data or information, while column vectors are often used in calculations and transformations.

4. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied by another matrix, the identity matrix has the same effect as multiplying by 1, making it a neutral element in matrix multiplication.

5. How can matrices be used in real life?

Matrices have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, economics, and statistics. They can be used to represent and analyze data, solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations and rotations, and much more.