Area of Region Under Graph x=-pi/6 to x=pi/4: Find the Solution

• Thread starter tomwilliam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a region between two given values of x above the x-axis and below a given graph. The solution involves using a double angle identity to simplify the expression and then integrating. The conversation also includes hints and clarifications on how to approach the problem.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region between x=-pi/6 and x=pi/4 above the x-axis and below the graph of:
y=cos(2x)(8-cos(2x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to reformulate the expression somehow so that it is easier to integrate, and I'm guessing it's a double angle formula like:
cos (2x) = 2 cos^2 x -1
but I can't seem to bring it all together to find something I know how to integrate.
Any hints? This is an assignment question, so I'd like to know how to do it properly. I've also changed a few of the values (but not the argument of the trig functions).

Physics news on Phys.org
good. so far youre off to a good start. use that trig identity and play around with it once you substitute that in your integral.

tomwilliam said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region between x=-pi/6 and x=pi/4 above the x-axis and below the graph of:
y=cos(2x)(8-cos(2x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to reformulate the expression somehow so that it is easier to integrate, and I'm guessing it's a double angle formula like:
cos (2x) = 2 cos^2 x -1

You guess well, but use the formula in the opposite way, to make cos^2 (2x) disappear. You can integrate cos2x and cos4x.

ehild

I'm a little confused by that...if I use the formula the opposite way to get cos^2 to disappear, I get back to what I started with.
At the moment I've changed the cos(2x) and expanded the brackets to get:

16 cos^2 (x) - 7 - 4 cos^4 (x)

I'm not sure if I'm any closer or not.

You are thinking about it the wrong way. You have

f(x) = 8 cos(2x) - cos^2 (2x)

You could easily do u sub, so 8 cos(u) - cos^2(u). Integrating cos is easy, but what about cos^2?

Ah yes, I see now.
Thanks all.

1. What does the area of a region under a graph represent?

The area of a region under a graph represents the total space enclosed by the graph and the x-axis. It can be thought of as the amount of space that the graph covers on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you find the area of a region under a graph?

To find the area of a region under a graph, you need to first determine the limits of integration, which are the starting and ending points for the x-values. Then, you can use the definite integral to calculate the area by integrating the function over the given limits of integration.

3. What is the significance of the given x-values in this problem?

The given x-values, -pi/6 and pi/4, are the limits of integration for the definite integral. They indicate the range of x-values over which the area under the graph will be calculated.

4. Can the area of a region under a graph be negative?

No, the area of a region under a graph cannot be negative. It represents a physical quantity (space), and therefore, cannot have a negative value.

5. Is there a specific unit for the area of a region under a graph?

The unit for the area of a region under a graph will depend on the unit used for the x and y axes. For example, if the x-axis is measured in meters and the y-axis is measured in seconds, the area will be in meters times seconds (m*s).