What are your experiences with Deja Vu?

• Medical
  • Thread starter encorp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the increase in frequency and intensity of experiencing deja vu, as well as the possible causes and personal experiences with it. One person mentions experiencing it to the point of being able to predict what will happen next, while another notes that it used to happen more when they were younger. Some speculate that it may be linked to neurological issues. However, others are intrigued by the phenomenon and find it interesting. The conversation ends with a suggestion to see a doctor if there are any sudden changes in experiencing deja vu.
encorp
Not really sure where to put this, please advise if I've dropped it in the incorrect forum.

The last year or so I've been experiencing FAR greater in number and more intense feelings of Deja Vu. I, like most people got them about as often as anyone else I'd imagine up until about a year ago.

I'm not really thinking it means too much to be honest but I'm curious why they would come about more frequently and what might cause them to feel more "intense" from a physiological point of view.

The last year I definitely experienced the most personal growth out of my 28 years alive. I experienced a lot of things that really helped me grow and change. Most people who know me have said I've "really finally come into my own" so to speak.

I guess maybe I'm just more aware of these deja vu's etc. I just find it interesting that I could go from what I'd think the odd experience a few times a year to 3-5 a week.

Anyways, feel free to share your experiences with the phenomenon as well if you wish. It's a pretty neat thing if you ask me!

Biology news on Phys.org
Was it the same cat, or one that looked just like it?

I've experienced it almost to the point of being able to predict what was going to happen next. Doesn't happen as much as it used to.

Any sudden changes like this could be a sign of a neurological problem, you should see a doctor.

i experienced deja vu much more when i was younger (teens). maybe there is something to the rewiring.

Evo said:
Any sudden changes like this could be a sign of a neurological problem, you should see a doctor.

Well don't scare me! hahaha

I've experienced deja vu so strong I would be able to say what the person was going to say as they said it. It'd freak my friends out. I never experience it anymore.

This is strange.Haven't I read this thread before?

I too have a lot of experiences with this, it can be very intense and seems to last for long (ish) periods, say 10 + mins, I mention it to my husband when it happens, tell him when it starts and tell him it isn't shaking off, that it definitely feels I have done exactly the same before and feel I know what's coming. I had always been under the impression (although not sure where I had heard or read about it), that it was caused by the the brain momentarily shutting down (that is probably a terrible way to phrase it) and then when it switches back on it gives you the feeling of having been in that situation before. From what has been wrote earlier does this mean I'm very far off the mark?

As Evo said, any sudden change like this could be a sign of a neurological problem. You should see a doctor.

1. What is Deja Vu?

Deja Vu is a phenomenon where an individual experiences a strong sensation of familiarity or recognition with a current event or situation, despite never having experienced it before.

2. How common is Deja Vu?

Studies have shown that up to 70% of people have experienced Deja Vu at least once in their lifetime, with about 15% experiencing it regularly.

3. What causes Deja Vu?

The exact cause of Deja Vu is still unknown, but some theories suggest that it could be due to a glitch in the brain's memory processing, or a mismatch between current sensory input and past memories.

4. Is Deja Vu a sign of a medical condition?

While Deja Vu can be a symptom of certain medical conditions such as epilepsy or dementia, it is also a common and benign occurrence that does not necessarily indicate any underlying health issues.

5. Can Deja Vu be prevented or stopped?

There is no surefire way to prevent or stop Deja Vu, but some techniques such as focusing on the present moment or trying to actively change the current environment may help reduce its frequency.