Force of Gravity of Al on Mt. Everest

In summary, the force of gravity acting on Al, who has a mass of 58 kg and is standing at the top of Mt. Everest at an elevation of 8,848 m, can be calculated using the equation F = GMm/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance from Al to the Earth's center. Plugging in the values, we get a force of approximately 569 N. However, due to slight variations in Earth's radius, Al's weight at the top of Mt. Everest may differ slightly from this value.
thelightsare

Homework Statement

In this problem find the force of gravity of Al. Al is standing at the top of Mt. Everest at an elevation of 8,848 m. Al has a mass of 58 kg. The Earth has a mass of 5.97e24 and a radius of 6.38e6m. What is the force of gravity acting on Al?

Homework Equations

F = GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

the dist. used to find F is from Al to the Earth's center ?
so r = 8848+6.38e6 ?
then plug in values

F = G 58(5.97e24)/(8848+6.38e6)^2
F[tex]\approx[/tex]569.385 N?

Is this right? I feel like I'm missing soemthing

Physics news on Phys.org
thelightsare said:

Homework Statement

In this problem find the force of gravity of Al. Al is standing at the top of Mt. Everest at an elevation of 8,848 m. Al has a mass of 58 kg. The Earth has a mass of 5.97e24 and a radius of 6.38e6m. What is the force of gravity acting on Al?

Homework Equations

F = GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

the dist. used to find F is from Al to the Earth's center ?
so r = 8848+6.38e6 ?
then plug in values

F = G 58(5.97e24)/(8848+6.38e6)^2
F[tex]\approx[/tex]569.385 N?

Is this right? I feel like I'm missing soemthing
Hi, welcome to PF! Your equation is correct, but perhaps the values you are using are a bit off, since Al would weigh about 569 N at sea level, (more or less, depending on variabilities in Earth's radius, etc), then he should weigh a wee bit less atop the Mount. But in terms of significant figures, essentially, he weighs pretty much about the same on top as he does at the bottom.

Hi! Thanks you for the welcome and your help. And just for reassurance, for r was i right to add the two values together?

thelightsare said:
Hi! Thanks you for the welcome and your help. And just for reassurance, for r was i right to add the two values together?
Yes, the distance apart is measured to Earth's center.

Thanks so much!

1. What is the force of gravity on Mt. Everest?

The force of gravity on Mt. Everest is approximately 9.78 meters per second squared. This is slightly less than the standard acceleration of gravity at sea level due to the increase in distance from the center of the Earth.

2. How does the force of gravity on Mt. Everest compare to sea level?

The force of gravity on Mt. Everest is slightly less than at sea level due to the increase in distance from the center of the Earth. This decrease in force is small and may not be noticeable to the average person.

3. Does the force of gravity on Mt. Everest change throughout the day?

No, the force of gravity on Mt. Everest remains constant throughout the day. It is only affected by changes in altitude and distance from the center of the Earth.

4. How does the force of gravity on Mt. Everest affect objects and people?

The force of gravity on Mt. Everest affects objects and people in the same way as it does at sea level. However, due to the decrease in force, objects and people may feel slightly lighter on Mt. Everest compared to at sea level.

5. Can the force of gravity on Mt. Everest be measured?

Yes, the force of gravity on Mt. Everest can be measured using specialized instruments such as gravimeters. These instruments can accurately measure the force of gravity at different altitudes and locations on the Earth.