Regarding Higgs boson and ether model

In summary: It does however give them mass, but this does not mean it is an ether. In summary, the Higgs boson is not equivalent to the ether. The Michelson-Morley experiment failed to detect the ether because it was not designed to do so and the concept of an ether is unnecessary in modern physical theories. The Higgs boson does not possess the properties of the ether and is not an ether.
virudh
Hi all,
I have few questions regarding Higgs boson and ether model. I wanted to know :-
1.What if "ether" == Higgs Boson?
2.The experiment done earlier to detect ether around the Earth failed because we don't know how to detect that medium?
3. On the question of "Drag" , Please tell me How to calculate the drag in a medium like of Higgs Boson or other particles which can pass through a body.
4. Let say in a 2d world, If I am a dot on a paper(with consciousness :smile: ), How will i detect my corresponding region?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
virudh said:
2.The experiment done earlier to detect ether around the Earth failed because we don't know how to detect that medium?
Have a look at the Michelson-Morley experiment. The experiment was not designed to detect the ether directly, but rather to determine whether the speed of light depended on the Earth's direction of motion. The results of this experiment indicated that electromagnetic radiation was not supported by a "luminiferous ether". Of course, the presence of an ether may still be postulated (see the Lorentz ether theory), however, any ether theory must be consistent with special relativity and therefore empirically equivalent to non-ether theories (like Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity). In modern physical theories, the ether is therefore regarded as unnecessary and/or superfluous.

With regards to the Higgs boson, there is absolutely no reason to hypothesize its role as an ether. For one, it does not possesses the properties of the original luminiferous ether, and does not create any sort of drag on particles with which it interacts.

1. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is thought to give other particles their mass. It was first predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics and was later discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva, Switzerland.

2. How does the Higgs boson relate to the ether model?

The ether model, also known as the luminiferous ether model, is a concept that was proposed to explain the propagation of light in space. The discovery of the Higgs boson does not directly relate to the ether model, as the Higgs boson is a particle that explains mass, not light. However, some scientists have proposed alternative theories that incorporate the Higgs boson into the ether model.

3. What is the significance of the discovery of the Higgs boson?

The discovery of the Higgs boson is significant because it confirms the existence of this particle, which was predicted by the Standard Model. It also helps to validate the current understanding of the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. Additionally, studying the Higgs boson can provide insights into the origins of the universe and the nature of mass.

4. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. The Higgs boson is a crucial component of the Standard Model, as it is responsible for giving particles their mass. Without the Higgs boson, the Standard Model would not be able to accurately explain the behavior of particles.

5. Are there any current challenges or unanswered questions regarding the Higgs boson and the ether model?

There are ongoing debates and research about the role of the Higgs boson in the ether model and whether the two can be reconciled. Additionally, some scientists are still trying to understand the exact properties and behavior of the Higgs boson and its interactions with other particles. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the implications of the Higgs boson and its relationship with the ether model.