Inequalities and Absolue Values: Problem Solving Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of inequalities and absolute values in mathematics. The individual is seeking help with a problem from a calculus book and shares their approach to solving it. They have encountered a potential issue with their procedure and ask for clarification on how to address it. The conversation also includes a discussion on the different cases that need to be evaluated and how to interpret the solutions based on the given conditions.
Saladsamurai
Hello all! :smile: In my quest to re-teach myself the basics of mathematics in a more rigorous fashion, I have found out that inequalities and absolute values are a weak point if mine. So I am working to address that. I am getting much better at it (with help from PF), but I have recently encountered seemingly simple problem that turned out to be a little trickier than I thought. Though I can arrive at the correct answer, I am not sure that my procedure is sound. Hopefully you can offer some insight. Take the following problem from chapter 1 of Spivak's Calculus (Problem 11 (iv)):

Find all ##x## for which ##|x-1|+|x-2| > 1 \qquad(1)##.

My approach to these has been to use the fact that the definition of absolute value is

[tex]
\begin{align}
|x| =
\begin{cases}
x, & \text{if }x\ge0 \\
-x, & \text{if }x\le0
\end{cases}
\end{align}
[/tex]

so then for each quantity enclosed by absolute value signs, there are 2 cases that needed to be evaluated. Applying this to (1) we have

Case 1: ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)>0## then

##(x-1) + (x-2) > 1 \implies x > 2.##

Case 2: ##(x-1)<0 \wedge (x-2)<0## then

## (1-x) + (2-x) > 1 \implies x<2.##

Case 3: ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)<0## then

## (x-1)+(1-x) > 1 \implies 0 >1. ##

Case 4: ##(x-1)<0 \wedge (x-2)>0## then

## (1-x) + (x+2) > 1 \implies 3 > 1. ##

Let's just look at Case 1 for a moment.

Assuming that ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)>0## is the same as assuming ## x > 1 \wedge x>2.## This is clearly only true for ##x>2##, so there is really no need to specify that ##x>1.## But when it comes time to solve the actual problem, I need to use the expression ##(x-1)## under the assumption that it is a positive quantity, which is the same as specifying that ##x>1##. The answer I got is ##x>2## and is valid, but I feel like I might miss something in future problems if I do not pay attention to this detail.

So my question is this: Do I simply solve the inequality as I have done and then restrict the solution to ##x>2## if I were to get something less than 2?

Does my question make sense?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is simpler just to look at the domains for x.
There are 3 cases, x > 2, 2 > x > 1, 1 > x. These correspond to your first 3 cases (not in the same order).
Your case 4 is non-existent, x > 2 and x < 1 is impossible.

Last edited:
mathman said:
It is simpler just to look at the domains for x.
There are 3 cases, x > 2, 2 > x > 1, 1 > x. These correspond to your first 3 cases (not in the same order).
Your case 4 is non-existent, x > 2 and x < 1 is impossible.

Hi mathman :smile: Yes, we have not gotten to the other 3 cases yet. I am focusing on the simple one: Case 1. I am afraid people might not be understanding question, but I am not sure how else to word it.

The case [itex]x>1~\wedge~x>2[/itex] is indeed equivalent to x>2.

If you solve the equation under the premisse that x>2, then every solution must satisfy that. If you find that the equation is true for all x>-2, then only the x>2 will count.

For example, if you solve [itex]|x-1|>-5[/itex] (I know you can easily see that all x will be a solution, but I'm just setting an example).

You can split up

1) [itex]x\geq 1[/itex], in that case |x-1|=x-1. So the equation is x-1>-5. This is true for x>-4. However, you originally set [itex]x>1[/itex], so in this case the only solutions are all [itex]x>1[/itex] (and not all x>-4).

2) x<1, in that case |x-1|=1-x. The equation becomes 1-x>5, or x<6. In this case the solutions are all x<1 (and not x<6).

Adding (1) and (2) yields that all real numbers are a solution.

Salad convinved me that a separate thread does have some merit. This thread is not the same as the HW question, but is rather more general. So I'll allow this thread to stay open.

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical equation that compares two quantities, indicating whether one is greater than, less than, or equal to the other. It is represented by symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥.

2. What is the difference between an inequality and an absolute value?

An inequality compares two values, while an absolute value is the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It is always positive and represented by || symbols.

3. How do I solve an inequality problem?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. Remember to flip the inequality sign if you multiply or divide by a negative number.

4. What is the purpose of using absolute values in problem solving?

Absolute values are often used in problem solving to represent the magnitude of a number without considering its sign. This can help in finding the distance between two values or determining the minimum or maximum value in a given set.

5. How can I apply inequalities and absolute values in real-life situations?

Inequalities and absolute values can be used in a variety of real-life situations, such as determining the minimum or maximum cost of an item, finding the range of possible values for a measurement, or solving problems involving speed and distance.