Finding the inverse of two functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of two functions, y = e^(-x^3) and y = sin(1/x). The goal is to solve for x in terms of y. The first step for y = e^(-x^3) would be to take the natural logarithm of both sides. For y = sin(1/x), there is a restriction on the domain and the function is not invertible as it is many-to-one. In general, to find the inverse of any function, you need to switch the x and y variables and solve for y.
Tebow15

Homework Statement

How do I find the inverse of these functions step by step?

y= e^-x^3

y= sin(1/x)

I know the solutions but I don't know how to work with these two functions. Does anyone know the steps to finding the inverse of these?

Physics news on Phys.org
The goal is to solve for x in terms of y.

What can you do to both sides of y = e^(-x^3) that would be a logical first step?

For the second function, y = sin(1/x), is there a restriction on the domain? As it's written, this function is not invertible because it's many-to-one. For example, there are infinitely many x for which sin(1/x) = 0, namely x = 1/(n*pi) for any nonzero integer n.

Tebow15 said:

Homework Statement

How do I find the inverse of these functions step by step?

y= e^-x^3

y= sin(1/x)

I know the solutions but I don't know how to work with these two functions. Does anyone know the steps to finding the inverse of these?
How do you find the inverse of any function, in general?

1. What is the definition of an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that reverses the effect of another function. It undoes the process of the original function, resulting in the original input value.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function in terms of x.

3. What is the notation for an inverse function?

The notation for an inverse function is f-1(x). This is read as "f inverse of x".

4. How do you check if two functions are inverses of each other?

To check if two functions are inverses, you can use the composition of functions method. Plug one function into the other and simplify. If the resulting expression is equal to x, then the functions are inverses of each other.

5. Can any function have an inverse?

No, only one-to-one functions have inverses. This means that for every input, there is only one unique output. Functions that fail the horizontal line test do not have inverses.