Dark Shadows Star Jonathan Frid Dead at 87

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary: I thought he was kind of lame. He was always whining and complaining, and his accent was terrible. I'm glad he died.I used to watch Dark Shadows just about every day for a while. Unlike all other soap operas, they aired it late in the afternoon so kids could watch it after school. It started off great, but then the plot slowed to a snail's pace and whole episodes would go by where nothing cool happened.I used to watch Dark Shadows just about every day for a while. Unlike all other soap operas, they aired it late in the afternoon so kids could watch it after school. It started off great, but then the plot slowed to a snail's pace and whole episodes would go by where
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I used to watch Dark Shadows when I was little. I can still hear the music. RIP Barnabas.

Dark Shadows, a gothic soap opera, aired from 1966 to 1971 and drew nearly 20 million viewers at the height of its popularity. Frid joined the show in 1967 as Barnabas Collins, a vampire returning to his family's estate, and quickly became the star of the show.

Before his death, Frid, who also starred in the TV movie The Devil's Daughter and the horror film, Seizure, filmed a cameo appearance for Tim Burton's forthcoming big-screen remake of Dark Shadows, in which Johnny Depp will play Barnabas. The film is set to be released May 11.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Darks-Shadows-Star-Jonathan-Frid-Death-Obit-1046239.aspx

Oooh, Johhny Depp as Barnabas, I can't wait!

Physics news on Phys.org
The trailer paints the movie as a tongue-in-cheek (though well-made) campy movie.

daveb said:
The trailer paints the movie as a tongue-in-cheek (though well-made) campy movie.
I can't wait, sounds like a great tribute. The original Dark Shadows was a lot of fun to watch. I can't stop humming the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbCqp_a3iE

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to watch Dark Shadows just about every day for a while. Unlike all other soap operas, they aired it late in the afternoon so kids could watch it after school. It started off great, but then the plot slowed to a snail's pace and whole episodes would go by where nothing cool happened.

zoobyshoe said:
I used to watch Dark Shadows just about every day for a while. Unlike all other soap operas, they aired it late in the afternoon so kids could watch it after school. It started off great, but then the plot slowed to a snail's pace and whole episodes would go by where nothing cool happened.
Yeah there were some plot parts and characters I didn't care for towards the end. My favorite parts were where they went back in time to when Barnabas got cursed.

I never got into watching the show but it was required watching for all the moms in the neighborhood.

I think this conflicted with Gilligans Island, which was mandatory watching for us kids. :biggrin:

I can't remember a damned thing about it other than the gothic aspect. It is the only soap that I ever watched, and I did so faithfully as soon as I was put onto it by a classmate. I didn't even realize that it was a soap; I watched just because it had vampires. It aired at about 4:00 pm, which was just in time for me to catch when I got home from school.
I've seen the teasers for the movie, and can't wait for it to show up here. If it were anyone other than Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, I probably wouldn't bother, but those two make magic together.

Danger said:
I've seen the teasers for the movie, and can't wait for it to show up here. If it were anyone other than Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, I probably wouldn't bother, but those two make magic together.
I think anyone that expects the movie to be anything like the show will be disappointed.

It appears to be a comedy as only Tim Burton and Johnny Depp can pull off. I love Johnny Depp.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I used to watch Dark Shadows when I was little. I can still hear the music. RIP Barnabas.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Darks-Shadows-Star-Jonathan-Frid-Death-Obit-1046239.aspx

Ironically, on the day the news broke, my wife got a flyer in the mail advertising a "Dark Shadows" convention. Jonathon was billed as making an appearance. Oddly enough, the thought that jumped into my mind that that he were to show up, it would be taking "committing to the role" to a whole new level.

Danger said:
I can't remember a damned thing about it other than the gothic aspect. It is the only soap that I ever watched, and I did so faithfully as soon as I was put onto it by a classmate. I didn't even realize that it was a soap; I watched just because it had vampires. It aired at about 4:00 pm, which was just in time for me to catch when I got home from school.

Here's an interesting fact about how the show evolved. Initially it just started out to a straight Soap opera with a Gothic feel, nothing supernatural at all. Then they started a story about the return of the head of the household's ex-wife, and it turns out that she is something like a Phoenix, in that she dies by fire and is reborn again.

The ratings for the show, which had not been good, shot up. They started to go back to a normal story line, and the ratings fell again. They quickly cobbled together a new story line and introduced Barnabas. The rating went back up.

The Barnabas character was, like the Phoenix, only supposed to be a short-lived character. They'd play out his story (the one were he abducts a local girl to replace his lost love), and he would eventually be found out and destroyed. However, Barnabas became so popular that they decided that they couldn't get rid of him, so they made it a continuing character, and thus permanently changed the direction of the show.

Janus said:
Here's an interesting fact about how the show evolved. Initially it just started out to a straight Soap opera with a Gothic feel, nothing supernatural at all. Then they started a story about the return of the head of the household's ex-wife, and it turns out that she is something like a Phoenix, in that she dies by fire and is reborn again.

The ratings for the show, which had not been good, shot up. They started to go back to a normal story line, and the ratings fell again. They quickly cobbled together a new story line and introduced Barnabas. The rating went back up.

The Barnabas character was, like the Phoenix, only supposed to be a short-lived character. They'd play out his story (the one were he abducts a local girl to replace his lost love), and he would eventually be found out and destroyed. However, Barnabas became so popular that they decided that they couldn't get rid of him, so they made it a continuing character, and thus permanently changed the direction of the show.
That's very interesting.

I'm tempted to re-watch the series.

That's sad news about Jonathan Frid :frown:
I also watched Dark Shadows regularly in late afternoons. The attraction for me was its supernatural feeling with people who transcended time. More recently, I learned that a building that I frequented and enjoyed ambling around the grounds, was used as the exterior shot of Collinwood Mansion

I do regret the death of Mr. Frid. I never knew him personally, but I don't like to see anyone die (unless I caused it). He and his castmates afforded me hours upon hours of enjoyment through their show. The movie will be nothing like it, but it's one of the few remakes that probably won't offend me. I'll never watch the movie versions of Starsky & Hutch, The Mod Squad, etc. because those were not comedies originally and to make them such was an insult to me as a fan. (I made the mistake of seeing Wild Wild West, and shall not repeat the experience.)
This, on the other hand, is essentially a new show with the same title as an old one. Just as The Addams Family movies paid high tribute to the original series, which in turn had paid high tribute to the original cartoons, this seems to be an affectionate nod toward the series without bastardizing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who was Jonathan Frid and what was his role on Dark Shadows?

Jonathan Frid was a Canadian actor known for his role as Barnabas Collins on the gothic soap opera Dark Shadows.

2. When did Jonathan Frid pass away?

Jonathan Frid passed away on April 14, 2012 at the age of 87.

3. What was the cause of Jonathan Frid's death?

Jonathan Frid's death was due to natural causes.

4. How did Jonathan Frid's death impact the entertainment industry?

Jonathan Frid's death was a loss for the entertainment industry, especially for fans of Dark Shadows. Many actors and fans paid tribute to him and his impact on the show.

5. What other notable works did Jonathan Frid have besides Dark Shadows?

Jonathan Frid had a successful career in theater, appearing in numerous productions before his role on Dark Shadows. He also made appearances in films and TV shows such as Seizure and The Devil's Daughter.

Back