Calculating Mass and Gravity on Planet Newtonia

In summary, on the planet Newtonia, a simple pendulum with a bob of mass 1.00 and length 195.0 takes 1.40 seconds to complete two swings when released from rest and swinging through an angle of 12.5 degrees before coming to a stop. The circumference of Newtonia is 51400 and the mass of the planet was calculated using the equation g = GM/R^2, taking into account the constant G and the radius from the given circumference. The angle of the swing does not affect the calculation.
pdiddy94
On the planet Newtonia, a simple pendulum having a bob with mass 1.00 and a length of 195.0 takes 1.40 , when released from rest, to swing through an angle of 12.5 , where it again has zero speed. The circumference of Newtonia is measured to be 51400 .

I solved for g using T = 2pi*sqrt(L/g) and then i used this g plus the constant G and the radius solved from the given circumference to calculate the mass of the planet from the equation g = GM/R^2 but can't get the answer, i don't know if its because I'm not taking the angle into account?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi pdiddy94! welcome to pf! :smile:
pdiddy94 said:
… takes 1.40 , when released from rest, to swing through an angle of 12.5 , where it again has zero speed.

… i don't know if its because I'm not taking the angle into account?

the angle makes no difference (so long as it's reasonably small, as 12.5° is),

but the period T is for two swings, isn't it? :wink:

ohh, thank you that makes sense

1. What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive motion or movement around a central point or equilibrium position. It can be described as a back and forth or up and down motion.

2. How are oscillations related to gravity?

Oscillations are related to gravity because gravity is a force that acts on objects, causing them to move towards a central point or equilibrium position. This movement can result in an oscillation, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth due to the force of gravity.

3. What is the significance of oscillations in terms of energy?

Oscillations involve the exchange of potential and kinetic energy. As an object moves towards its equilibrium position, it gains kinetic energy, and as it moves away from the equilibrium position, it gains potential energy. This back and forth exchange of energy is what allows the oscillation to continue.

4. How do oscillations affect everyday objects?

Oscillations can affect everyday objects in various ways. For example, they can cause vibrations in structures like buildings or bridges, which can lead to damage over time. They can also be used in technologies such as clocks, musical instruments, and even amusement park rides.

5. Can gravity affect the frequency of an oscillation?

Yes, gravity can affect the frequency of an oscillation. The force of gravity can change the speed at which an object moves towards its equilibrium position, thus altering the period or frequency of the oscillation. This is why the frequency of a pendulum will change depending on its location on Earth.