Can AutoCAD accurately determine the center of gravity for my vehicle design?

In summary: Hello AlephZero! thanks for the reply! Do you know a firm (online ) who do modelling and do stuff in AutoCAD, or can you suggest me some readings/ related lit about center of gravity. I keep on looking and looking for different materials for this topic, thank you!There are many resources available on CG, including online tutorials and books.
RJ2012
HELLO

Can someone help me locate the center of gravity for my vehicle design? all the parts, dimensions and mass of the parts of the design are known. Is it possible to locate for the COG of it? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
RJ2012 said:
HELLO

Can someone help me locate the center of gravity for my vehicle design? all the parts, dimensions and mass of the parts of the design are known. Is it possible to locate for the COG of it? Thanks!

The way I always did it in 2D was draw it, REGION it and MASSPROP it. From the massprop, you can drag the figure by the centroid to (0,0).

Hello! Is your method accurate? :) Does the result agree with the calculate/ theoretical ( if there's any) center of gravity? thanks buddy!

It will be as accurate as your CAD model. Most CAD models give a significant underestimate of the total mass of the object, because they don't contain all the "little" components like nuts and bolts that hold the real structure together, the mass of surface finishes like paint, manufacturing tolerances that produce oversized parts, etc.

That type of thing can easily contribute a few percent to the total mass of the real object, and obviously it can change the CG position as well.

Hello AlephZero! thanks for the reply! Do you know a firm (online ) who do modelling and do stuff in AutoCAD, or can you suggest me some readings/ related lit about center of gravity. I keep on looking and looking for different materials for this topic, thank you!

RJ2012 said:
Hello! Is your method accurate? :) Does the result agree with the calculate/ theoretical ( if there's any) center of gravity? thanks buddy!

In 2D, it's more accurate than you'll ever need. Try it out with an oddly shaped piece of cardboard or thin plywood (something with constant thickness). You should be able to balance the cardboard or plywood on a nail at the centroid AutoCAD gives you.

1. What is the Autocad center of gravity?

The Autocad center of gravity is a point in space where the weight of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is an important concept in engineering and design as it helps determine the stability and balance of an object.

2. How is the center of gravity calculated in Autocad?

In Autocad, the center of gravity is calculated by using the MASSPROP command. This command calculates the center of gravity based on the object's geometry and material properties.

3. Why is the center of gravity important in Autocad?

The center of gravity is important in Autocad because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It is also used in engineering and design to ensure that the object's weight is evenly distributed and to prevent it from tipping over or collapsing.

4. Can the center of gravity be changed in Autocad?

Yes, the center of gravity can be changed in Autocad. This can be done by modifying the object's geometry, material properties, or by adding weights to specific areas of the object.

5. How can knowing the center of gravity in Autocad improve my designs?

Knowing the center of gravity in Autocad can improve your designs by ensuring that the weight of your object is evenly distributed and that it is stable and balanced. This can help prevent accidents and ensure that your design functions as intended.