Poisson brackets of angular momentum components

In summary, the Poisson brackets for [M_i, M_j] can be calculated using the equations provided and the Levi-Civita symbol. However, when calculating the second summation, it is important to use different dummy indices to avoid confusion and ensure accurate results.
bznm
I want to find [M_i, M_j] Poisson brackets.

$$[M_i, M_j]=\sum_l (\frac{\partial M_i}{\partial q_l}\frac{\partial M_j}{\partial p_l}-\frac{\partial M_i}{\partial p_l}\frac{\partial M_j}{\partial q_l})$$

I know that:

$$M_i=\epsilon _{ijk} q_j p_k$$

$$M_j=\epsilon _{jnm} q_n p_m$$

and so:

$$[M_i, M_j]=\sum_l (\frac{\partial \epsilon _{ijk} q_j p_k}{\partial q_l}\frac{\partial \epsilon _{jnm} q_n p_m}{\partial p_l}-\frac{\partial \epsilon _{ijk} q_j p_k}{\partial p_l}\frac{\partial \epsilon _{jnm} q_n p_m}{\partial q_l})$$

$$= \sum_l \epsilon _{ijk} p_k \delta_{jl} \cdot \epsilon_{jnm} q_n \delta_{ml}- \sum_l \epsilon_{ijk}q_j \delta_{kl} \cdot \epsilon_{jnm} p_m \delta_{nl}$$

Then I have thought that values that nullify deltas don't add any informations in the summations. And so, $$m=l, j=l$$ but so I obtain $$m=j$$. But if $$m=l$$, the second Levi-Civita symbol in the first summation is zero... And if I go on, I obtain $$[M_i, M_j]=-p_iq_j$$ instead of $$[M_i, M_j]=q_ip_j-p_iq_j$$

Where am I wrong? :| Could you say to me how to go on? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 3 j's in the same term. Make sure your dummy indices (i.e. the ones that are summed over) are different from the variable indices. Use a different letter for each dummy index to avoid confusion.

madness said:
You have 3 j's in the same term. Make sure your dummy indices (i.e. the ones that are summed over) are different from the variable indices. Use a different letter for each dummy index to avoid confusion.

Thank you!

What are Poisson brackets of angular momentum components?

Poisson brackets of angular momentum components are a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to describe the relationship between the position and momentum of a system. They are represented by a symbol {A,B} and indicate the rate of change of one quantity with respect to the other.

How are Poisson brackets calculated?

To calculate a Poisson bracket, one must first determine the Hamiltonian of the system, which is a function that describes the total energy of the system. Then, the Poisson bracket is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the Hamiltonian with respect to the position and momentum variables.

What is the significance of Poisson brackets in classical mechanics?

Poisson brackets are important in classical mechanics because they allow us to analyze the dynamics of a system and make predictions about the behavior of the system over time. They also help us understand the relationships between different physical quantities in a system.

How do Poisson brackets relate to angular momentum?

Poisson brackets of angular momentum components are used to describe the relationship between the angular momentum of a system and its position and momentum variables. They allow us to calculate the rate of change of angular momentum and make predictions about its behavior over time.

Can Poisson brackets be used in other areas of physics?

While Poisson brackets were originally developed for use in classical mechanics, they have also been applied in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and field theory. They provide a useful tool for analyzing the dynamics and relationships between physical quantities in a wide range of systems.