Classical interpretation of Wave Motion

In summary: Then, if you still have questions, you can ask. Until then, you're going to have to look elsewhere for help with your homework.
cmcraes
Ive been learning a lot about how similar waves and particles are at the fundamental level, but today i was assaigned to discuss the difference between the CLASSICAL physics of particles vs Classical Physics of waves.
Differences and similarities and well as how momentum is/isnt diferent as well as if a wave can be said to be in/at a certain point in space at a given point in time.
Hope that made sense, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description of your assignment made sense. But what is your question?

grammar error

Do we interpret momentum any different with waves?
How do we describe a mechanical waves position?

There's a difference between asking for help about something that confuses you, and just asking us to do your homework for you! Do a bit of research first and let us know if there is something you don't understand. At the very least, tell us what you do know about waves that might be relevant to your project. When we know what you know, we'll be able to help you figure out what you don't know. You know?:biggrin:

No no no! This isn't homework at all! Its a bonus question on a test i have coming up, and everywhere i look online i can only find either how they are similar (quantum mechanics) or their definitions.

I was just curious if there is a difference in any of our formulas or definitions that changes when talking about classical waves. thanks though!

cmcraes said:
No no no! This isn't homework at all! Its a bonus question on a test i have coming up, and everywhere i look online i can only find either how they are similar (quantum mechanics) or their definitions.

I was just curious if there is a difference in any of our formulas or definitions that changes when talking about classical waves. thanks though!

Why don't you read the forum rules?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8128

"As a reminder, please do not post Homework/Schoolwork-type questions here. We have a dedicated forum for that:

Homework, Coursework, & Textbook Questions

This rule applies even if your question is not formally part of a HW/Coursework. Any type of question that has the same resemblance to that covered in a typical schoolwork must be posted in that forum, not in here.

Zz. "

You're in the wrong room.

Well before you can start asking about these kind of questions you need to look at the physics first - what is the equation for the momentum carried by a wave? What does the equation which describes a wave look like?

Start by writing these down, and then try to understand what they "mean" as best you can. That's how you have to understand things.

What is the classical interpretation of wave motion?

The classical interpretation of wave motion is a theory that describes the behavior of waves in terms of classical mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. It states that waves are a result of particles or objects moving back and forth in a periodic motion, transferring energy from one particle to another.

What are the key characteristics of a classical wave?

The key characteristics of a classical wave include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position, wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, frequency is the number of waves passing a point in a given time, and speed is the rate at which the wave propagates.

How does the classical interpretation of wave motion differ from the modern interpretation?

The main difference between the classical and modern interpretation of wave motion is that the classical interpretation uses classical mechanics to explain the behavior of waves, while the modern interpretation uses quantum mechanics. The classical interpretation also assumes a continuous medium for the wave to propagate through, while the modern interpretation allows for waves to exist in a vacuum.

What is the wave equation and how is it used in the classical interpretation of wave motion?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of waves. It is used in the classical interpretation of wave motion to calculate the behavior of waves in a given medium, taking into account the properties of the medium such as density and elasticity.

What are some real-life examples of classical waves?

Some real-life examples of classical waves include sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves. Sound waves are mechanical waves that travel through a medium, such as air, and can be heard by the human ear. Water waves are caused by disturbances on the surface of a body of water, and seismic waves are waves that travel through the Earth's crust during an earthquake.