Could a deficiency in somatostatin contribute to Chiari malformation?

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
In summary, somatostatin could play a role in the cause of Chiari by decreasing the amount of growth hormone, which could lead to malformations in the cerebellum.
Medgirl314
I came across and article about how the hormone somatostatin can affect intacranial hypertension. After reading this article, I researched the hormone. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-somatostatin.htm I found that somatostatin deficiencies can cause symptoms similar to those of Chiari malformation. Since somatostain is a growth hormone, could a deficiency conrtibute to the cause of Chiari? Could the reason that the tonsils extend too much be due to a smaller skull caused by a deficiency? I realize that it would be illogical to hypothesize that somatostatin causes Chiari and many disorders all on it's own, but could it be a contributing factor?

Thanks in advance for replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry medgirl, but for links to substantiate medical claims, we only allow peer reviewed research from an approved journal. I've allowed one link that explains what the hormone is.

Thanks for letting me know! Are you saying that guesses that have not been peer-reviewed aren't allowed, or that I can only use peer-reviewd links in my post?

Medgirl314 said:
Thanks for letting me know! Are you saying that guesses that have not been peer-reviewed aren't allowed, or that I can only use peer-reviewd links in my post?
Guesses aren't allowed, that is along the lines of a personal theory. You may ask questions as long as they are not leading.

Okay, thank you!

Cna I go back and edit it? I don't see an "edit" button.

Medgirl314 said:
Cna I go back and edit it? I don't see an "edit" button.
What do you want to edit? Just post it here, trust me, if it's not allowed, it will disappear. :biggrin:

You seem to want to do what's right, so I'll be glad to help.

I've never heard of Chiari before (I've read about it since this thread) and I'm not a medical expert, but somatostatin is a really prevalent biomolecule. It inhibits growth hormone and growth hormone is everywhere. So could it contribute to malformations in bone? Probably. But I'm not sure how pervasive such a relationship would be, or how useful it would be to know since somatostatin is everywhere and Chiari (apparently) can be a symptom of many different illnesses.

Most of the other functions probably aren't relevant to malformations in the cerebellum though; particularly not its gastrontestinal functions.

Thanks for the replies! Evo, I was going to take out some of the links, but I think you did that for me. Thanks! Pythagorean, thanks for the replies! As far as I understand, Chiari isn't really a malformation of the cerebellum due to the size of the cerebellum, it's a malformation that is caused by the skull size. I haven't heard of Chiari being a symptom of different illnesses, only an (excuse the term) "illness" in itself, but it seems plausiable since it is often connected with other dieseases.

Likes 1 person

1. What is somatostatin?

Somatostatin is a hormone produced by the hypothalamus that helps regulate various bodily functions, including the secretion of other hormones.

2. How does somatostatin relate to Chiari?

In Chiari, there is a malformation of the brain where the cerebellum extends into the spinal canal. This can cause compression of the brainstem, which may lead to decreased levels of somatostatin.

3. What are the effects of low levels of somatostatin in Chiari patients?

Low levels of somatostatin in Chiari patients may contribute to symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and difficulty with balance and coordination.

4. Can somatostatin be used as a treatment for Chiari?

While somatostatin may play a role in the development of Chiari symptoms, it is not currently used as a treatment for the condition. However, further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between somatostatin and Chiari.

5. Are there any other conditions or disorders related to somatostatin and Chiari?

Somatostatin has also been linked to other neurological conditions such as epilepsy and Parkinson's disease. However, more research is needed to fully understand the connection between these disorders and somatostatin levels in Chiari patients.