How can I calculate Magnetic Latitude?

by erotavlas
Tags: latitude, magnetic
erotavlas
Jan23-14, 05:04 PM
P: 20
Hello,
I'm building an application in which I need to obtain the magnetic latitude for use in another calculation.

There are many website online that can calculate this for you, mostly point and click on a map, or enter your latitude and longitude into a form.

But I'm wondering how they actually calculate this value? And if it's something difficult to implement into my program.

If anyone knows how I could go about figuring out how to do this, or any resources that might help, it would be most appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
davenn
Jan23-14, 05:25 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,243
Hi there

There are many website online that can calculate this for you, mostly point and click on a map, or enter your latitude and longitude into a form.

But I'm wondering how they actually calculate this value? And if it's something difficult to implement into my program
well if that is so, then use the "View Source" for that www page and you should see the html doc with the calculations embedded in it

cheers
Dave
erotavlas
Jan23-14, 09:15 PM
P: 20
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
Hi there

well if that is so, then use the "View Source" for that www page and you should see the html doc with the calculations embedded in it

cheers
Dave
No, the calculation is done using server side scripts. You cannot view that way. Only one site I found a javascript function

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/globeNW.html

But am not sure if the function is specific to that image (like the values in the array are all points on the image) or if its something else

davenn
Jan24-14, 05:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,243

How can I calculate Magnetic Latitude?

no probs

was just a thought

Dave

Register to reply