Verifying A Cosines Addition Equation with Beats

• Thread starter don_anon25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the equivalence of two cosine equations with different wavelengths and frequencies. The solution involves converting the second equation into exponential form, multiplying the resulting binomials, and simplifying. However, there is a discrepancy with the constant A, which can be resolved using the trigonometric formula for cosine addition. The conversation also briefly mentions the origin of Fermat's identity.
don_anon25
The problem asks me to show that the addition of two cosines with different wavelength and frequencies gives a solution with beats.

Mathematically, I need to verify that A cos (k1x-w1t)+A cos (k2x-w2t) is equivalent to A cos (.5(k1+k2)x-.5(w1+w2)t) cos (.5(k1-k2)x-.5(w1-w2)t)

I converted the second equation into exponential form (cos (kx-wt)=1/2(e^i(kx-wt)+e^-i(kx-wt)), multiplied the resulting binomials together, and simplified to get the first equation. My problem is with the constant, A. How do I deal with it? I need A/2 for the first equation, but simplication of the second yields A/4. How to resolve this?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
use the trig formula,

[tex]\cos A + \cos B = 2\cos(\frac{A+B}{2})\cdot\cos(\frac{A-B}{2})[/tex]

You may wonder from where Fermat's indentity comes.

Sum the 2 standard identities

cos(a + b) = cosa cosb - sina sinb

cos(a - b) = cosa cosb + sina sinb

and make the substitutions A = a + b and B = a - b.

Regards,
George

1. What is a cosines addition equation?

A cosines addition equation is a mathematical equation that shows the relationship between the cosine of two angles and the sum or difference of those angles. It is commonly used in trigonometry and can be written as cos(A ± B) = cosAcosB ± sinAsinB.

2. What are beats in relation to cosines addition equations?

Beats refer to the pattern of interference that occurs when two sound waves with slightly different frequencies are played together. In relation to cosines addition equations, beats are used to verify the accuracy of the equation by comparing the frequencies of the two waves.

3. How do you verify a cosines addition equation using beats?

To verify a cosines addition equation using beats, you need to set up an experiment where two sound waves with different frequencies are played together. The resulting pattern of beats can then be analyzed to see if it matches the predicted pattern from the cosines addition equation.

4. Why is it important to verify cosines addition equations with beats?

Verifying cosines addition equations with beats is important because it provides a practical and tangible way to confirm the accuracy of the equation. It also helps to solidify understanding of the concept and can be used to troubleshoot any errors in calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using beats to verify cosines addition equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using beats to verify cosines addition equations. The accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as the quality of the sound equipment used and the presence of background noise. Additionally, beats can only be used to verify certain types of cosines addition equations and may not be applicable to all mathematical equations.