Sorry,i did`nt mean bulb lamps i said a lighting

In summary, a lightning strike carries 1000 watts of power, but other sources estimate it to be several gigawatts due to the high amperage and voltage involved. Another source supports the idea of gigawatts being the unit of measurement for lightning.
pedram
hi guys
i want know how many watts does a lighting have?
---------------------------------------------------------
(lighting=the power that exchange between clouds an earth)

(im sorry about my english words becaus i don't speak english)
thanks
bye

Science news on Phys.org
"A lightning strike lasts only a few milliseconds but carries 1000 Watts of power"
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/Magazine/JA00/lightning/nuts_bolts.html
There are other curious facts about lightnings in this webpage

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by meteor
"A lightning strike lasts only a few milliseconds but carries 1000 Watts of power"
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/Magazine/JA00/lightning/nuts_bolts.html
There are other curious facts about lightnings in this webpage

I read the link, but I can't believe this is accurate.

Using:

Watts = volts x amps

amps for a lightning strike 100 to 40,000

volts = 100 MV to 2 GV

I'm seeing several gigawatts here.

Here is another link.

Lightning parameters

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Artman
I read the link, but I can't believe this is accurate...

I'm seeing several gigawatts here.
Agreed. Several gigawatts sounds more like it.

1. What is the difference between bulb lamps and lighting?

The term "bulb lamps" typically refers to the actual physical bulb that emits light, while "lighting" can refer to the entire system including the bulb, fixture, and any additional components. So, while a bulb lamp is a type of lighting, not all lighting is necessarily a bulb lamp.

2. Are bulb lamps and lighting interchangeable terms?

No, they are not interchangeable terms. As mentioned before, bulb lamps refer to a specific component within a lighting system, while lighting encompasses the entire system. It is important to use the correct terminology in order to accurately communicate about lighting systems.

3. Can I use any type of bulb in a lighting system?

It depends on the specific lighting fixture and its compatibility with different types of bulbs. Some fixtures may only be able to use certain types of bulbs, such as incandescent or LED, while others may have more flexibility. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions for the specific fixture in question.

4. Do bulb lamps and lighting have an impact on energy efficiency?

Yes, both bulb lamps and the overall lighting system can have a significant impact on energy efficiency. Choosing energy-efficient bulbs and fixtures, such as LED or CFL, can help reduce energy consumption and lower electricity costs.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with my bulb lamps or lighting system?

If you are experiencing issues with your bulb lamps or lighting system, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check to make sure the bulbs are properly installed and functioning. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with the fixture or wiring, in which case it is best to consult a professional electrician for assistance.