Solve Rotation Matrix Problem 1.9 of DJGriffiths - (1,1,1) Direction

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the rotation matrix about a specific direction, (1,1,1), and angle of rotation. The solution is found using the rotation matrices R(a) and R(v), where R(a) is the rotation about the z-axis and R(v) is the rotation that sends the vector v to the z-axis. The formula for the rotation about v through angle a is given, and instructions for finding R(v) are provided. The conversation also mentions a similarity transformation and references Goldstein's chapter on Euler angles.
Living_Dog
Problem 1.9 of DJGriffiths asks for the rotation matrix about the (1,1,1) direction.

I thought I could rotate about z 45 degrees (R': x -> x'), then rotate about y' (R'': x' -> x''). How do I combine the two rotations to determine the final single rotation matrix... R = R''*R' or R = R'*R'' ?

thx in advance!
-LD

EDIT: after working on this some more, I realized that this is not the same rotation. The rotation is not from x->x'->x''. Rather it is a rotation around the (1,1,1) direction.

Having checked what few texts I have I still do not know how to make the rotation matrix.

After some thought ...wouldn't x go to the z position to satisfy this rotation? I'm thinking that if you look down the (1,1,1) line toward the origin, then the 3 axes make a 120o angle with each other. Thus the x-axis will spin into the original z-axis position. Also, z->y and y->x.

tia!
-LD

EDIT: after working on this some more, I found the solution. Perhaps it is a bit pragmatic since I used the above fact. So if anyone knows how to do this in general - for any direction - then I would like the answer. (I think I need a book on crystallographic rotations - yikes!)

100 -> 001
010 -> 100
001 -> 010

Now apply these conditions to the equation: A' = R*A. Then each equation will result in the immediate solution for 3 of the rotation matrix elements.

(0 0 1) = R (1 0 0) yields:
[tex]R_{11} = 0[/tex]
[tex]R_{21} = 0[/tex]
[tex]R_{31} = 1[/tex]

(1 0 0) = R (0 1 0) yields:
[tex]R_{12} = 1[/tex]
[tex]R_{22} = 0[/tex]
[tex]R_{32} = 0[/tex]

(0 1 0) = R (0 0 1) yields:
[tex]R_{13} = 0[/tex]
[tex]R_{23} = 0[/tex]
[tex]R_{33} = 1[/tex]

Thus, the R matrix is:

[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 & 0
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

...sorry I asked this and then found the solution... but as I said above, this is very pragmatic and I would really like to know how to do this for any angle of rotation about any direction in general.

Thanks!
-LD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let R(a) be the rotation matrix about the z-axis through angle a. Let R(v) be the rotation matrix that sends the vector v to the z axis. Then the rotation about v through angle a is:

R(v)-1R(a)R(v)

You know how to find R(a). To find R(v), first find the polar and azimuthal angles of v/|v|, suppose they are b and c respectively. Then R(v) is a rotation about the z axis through the angle -c, followed by a rotation about the y-axis through angle -b.

Last edited:
AKG said:
Let R(a) be the rotation matrix about the z-axis through angle a. Let R(v) be the rotation matrix that sends the vector v to the z axis. Then the rotation about v through angle a is:

R(v)-1R(a)R(v)

You know how to find R(a). To find R(v), first find the polar and azimuthal angles of v/|v|, suppose they are b and c respectively. Then R(v) is a rotation about the z axis through the angle -c, followed by a rotation about the y-axis through angle -b.

Thanks!

BTW, isn't that something called a similarity transformation? (I seem to remember it from Goldstein's chapter on Euler angles... so much forgotten down the corners of my mind :/ )

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is a 3x3 matrix that can be multiplied with a vector to rotate it around a specific axis.

2. How do you interpret the numbers in a rotation matrix?

The numbers in a rotation matrix represent the cosine and sine of the angles of rotation around each axis. The first row corresponds to the x-axis, the second row corresponds to the y-axis, and the third row corresponds to the z-axis.

3. What is the purpose of the (1,1,1) direction in DJGriffiths' problem?

The (1,1,1) direction in DJGriffiths' problem serves as the axis of rotation. The rotation matrix is used to rotate vectors around this axis.

4. How do you solve a rotation matrix problem?

To solve a rotation matrix problem, you need to first determine the axis of rotation and the angle of rotation. Then, you can use the formula for a rotation matrix to calculate the resulting vector.

5. What are some applications of rotation matrices?

Rotation matrices have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to rotate objects in 3D modeling, control the movement of robotic arms, and describe the orientation of objects in space, among others.