Is There Special Notation for Circle Geometry?

In summary, when working with circle geometry, there is no designated notation for minor or major arcs or sectors. It is important to label them correctly, but it is not always necessary to specify whether it is major or minor. However, there is a specific notation using 3 letters for major arcs and 2 letters for minor arcs. This notation can be found on the website http://library.thinkquest.org/2647/geometry/glossary.htm#major.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. When doing circle geometry, is there any designated notation i should use? For example, on a circle, is there any special notation for a minor arc, or a major arc? or a minor sector, or a major sector?

Thanks. It would just help me clear up my working out in problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, atleast not to my knowledge. Just label it, and sometimes it would obvious what is what with respect to the question but NOT alway's. And usually when solving things with circles it is not necessary to say its a major/minor arc.

ok thanks.

There is specific notation between a major and minor arc..

major arcs are notated with 3 letters and minor ones, just with 2 letters.

Major arc
- an arc whose endpoints form an angle over 180 degrees with the center of the circle; written - the extra letter is used to distinguish it from a minor arc; ABD

Minor arc
- an arc whose endpoints form an angle less than 180 degrees with the center of the circle; written AB with the curve line above it..

see the website: http://library.thinkquest.org/2647/geometry/glossary.htm#major for the notations..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, been over three years since i posted this. How did you come across this thread?

Thanks for replying anyway i guess haha :smile:

1. What is the notation for a circle's circumference?

The notation for a circle's circumference is C = 2πr, where C represents the circumference, π represents the mathematical constant pi, and r represents the radius of the circle.

2. How is the diameter of a circle represented in notation?

The diameter of a circle is represented as D = 2r, where D represents the diameter and r represents the radius of the circle.

3. What does the symbol 'π' stand for in circle geometry notation?

The symbol 'π' represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, which is approximately equal to 3.14.

4. How is the area of a circle represented in notation?

The area of a circle is represented as A = πr², where A represents the area and r represents the radius of the circle.

5. What is the notation for a sector of a circle?

The notation for a sector of a circle is A = ½r²θ, where A represents the area of the sector, r represents the radius of the circle, and θ represents the central angle in radians.