Good Qualities to Have: Alertness, Perceptiveness, Courage, Humor

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: I think for the most part that is a misconception. I have a lot of patience because I know that if I am patient, the correct thing will eventually happen.
zoobyshoe
I'm curious as to what people consider good qualities to have. By "good" I mean beneficial to you as an individual, things that help you through problems, to achieve goals, to face adversity, to survive and even thrive: qualities you're glad you have or wish you had.

I'll go first here. Qualities I think are good to have are alertness and perceptiveness, courage, humor and thoughtfullness.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I'll go first here. Qualities I think are good to have are alertness and perceptiveness, courage, humor and thoughtfullness.
Those are all good. To add to it, stick-to-it-iveness (or tenacity). Nobody achieves anything without running into some failures along the way, so you have to be able to just pick up and keep going after every set-back and not give up.

Laid-back-ness :smile: :cool:

J77 said:
Laid-back-ness :smile: :cool:
But not too much. It does no good to get riled up about every little thing, but get too laid back and nothing ever gets done.

Moonbear said:
Those are all good. To add to it, stick-to-it-iveness (or tenacity). Nobody achieves anything without running into some failures along the way, so you have to be able to just pick up and keep going after every set-back and not give up.
Perseverance or steadfastness.

In relationships - that is expressed as loyalty, which is related to trustworthiness, honesty and integrity.

Zooby has a very good list - and related to that is "considerate".

I would add "Kind", which goes well with thoughtful, considerate and laid-backness.

Honest, someone who is trust worthy

Doers, not moaners.

I will add, cunning, as if you are not cunning you may not survive to be honest, trustworthy, kind etc.

tolerant, doesn't fall in anger easily, thinking, and all others that were mentioned already.

Moonbear said:

I'm with you and Astro - the ole hare and turtle.

Well...not to say that MB and Astro are the ole hare and turtle... :biggrin: But for me, persistence is everything.

Last edited:
Mama always said, "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.":smile:

I'll go along with virtue of persistance/perseverance/stick-to-it-tiveness as well. I love this particular quote:

”Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." --Calvin Coolidge

I was shocked to find laid-backness in the Merriam-Webster's online dictionary. And I was more shocked by the adds associated with 'laid'. :rolleyes:

Perseverant is the adjective that goes with perseverance, btw.

Word for the day btw -

sedulous
\SEJ-uh-luss\ adjective
1 : involving or accomplished with careful perseverance
2 : diligent in application or pursuit

Diligence is a good quality.

A tiny bit or arrogance and a load of raw determination.

Astronuc said:
Perseverant is the adjective that goes with perseverance, btw.
Agreed. Note, I was talking about the "virtue of perseverance".

Math Is Hard said:
Agreed. Note, I was talking about the "virtue of perseverance".
Yeah, I know you were.

My mind was straying as it usually does, and I was just curious about the forms of words. I was looking for "perseverity", but apparently that does not exist. Instead the noun is perseverance.

But laid-backness? There has to be a better sounding term, but all I could find was 'easy-going' or 'relaxed', which seem appropriate, but miss the nuance of being laid-back.

I think being well-balanced is perhaps the most important trait. A little bit of every good asset is worth more than a lot of one particular one.

I'm discovering I didn't aim the question accurately enough at all. Rather than trying to create some kind of consensus list that might be reccomended to anyone, I am looking for each person's personal recipe: the good qualities they, individually, see in themselves or aspire to attain. I somehow ended up inplying there might be a right and wrong blanket list to be uncovered, whereas I was hoping for five or six qualities from each respondent that revealed something about their individual temperment. Instead of discovering that person A and person B agree that perseverence is good, I was hoping to find things to explain why person A and person B aren't the same person; because A highly values, say, creativity, whereas B values stability, and so on.

I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned patience. I think that is my best quality, but to a lot of people it may come across as a negative one - I might seen undefensive of my position on subjects or viewed as lazy or uninterested during a debate for instance.

I cannot say there are many other qualities besides that for me.

I am looking for each person's personal recipe: the good qualities they, individually, see in themselves

First, I was humble.

Then, I usually always expressed good manners to all beings whether or not those beings expressed good manners to me.

Upon that foundation, I acquired many good qualities, including and not limited to mental awareness, and the ability to make many extrapolations upon one truth, and mental insight, and perseverance, and confidence, and good timing.

Patience was a difficult one, but that goes hand-in-hand with good timing.

Imagine the planet if everyone intended to lay the same foundation.

I think patience is implied in peseverance, somewhat. Nevertheless, patience is a virtue.

However, if I have to wait, I go do something else. I don't like waiting around. :biggrin:

Humble, Perserverence, Consistency, Humour, patience, deception, kindness.

fun loving!

strong faith in myself, my future, whatever, the ability to laugh and smile no matter what, and empathy

Humility and empathy are two very good qualities.

Optimism.

Humor.

I wonder if deception was supposed to be 'perceptiveness'.

Intuitiveness.

Introspectiveness.

and I'll probably think of several more.

Integrity gets my vote (though it has probably been given already but via diffrerent wording)

I would like to say reasonably cynical (not buying into BS) but am not sure whether that this is mutually exclusive with optimistic.

What are some good qualities to have as a scientist?

As a scientist, there are many good qualities that can help you excel in your field. Some of the most important qualities include:

• Alertness: Being alert and attentive allows you to notice important details and make connections that others may miss.
  • Perceptiveness: Having a keen perception of the world around you allows you to observe patterns and make insightful observations.
  • Courage: The ability to take risks and step outside of your comfort zone is essential for making groundbreaking discoveries.
  • Humor: A good sense of humor can help you stay positive and creative, even when faced with challenges and setbacks.
  • Intelligence: Of course, intelligence is a crucial quality for any scientist. Being able to think critically and solve complex problems is essential for success in the scientific field.

How can being alert benefit a scientist?

Being alert allows a scientist to notice important details, make connections, and stay focused on their research. This can lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs in their field.

Why is perceptiveness important for a scientist?

A scientist's ability to observe and interpret the world around them is essential for making insightful observations and identifying patterns. This can help them develop new hypotheses and theories to test.

How does courage play a role in scientific research?

Scientific research often involves taking risks, trying new approaches, and challenging existing beliefs. Without courage, a scientist may be hesitant to explore new ideas or pursue unconventional methods, which can limit their potential for discovery.

In what ways can a good sense of humor benefit a scientist?

Research can be a long and challenging process, and a good sense of humor can help a scientist stay positive and motivated. It can also help foster creativity and collaboration with others in the scientific community.