Age Difference in Earth Orbit Around Another Star

In summary, the question of whether people on a cloned Earth orbiting another star at a different speed would age faster, slower, or at the same rate as those on the original Earth's orbit depends on the speed of the orbit. However, the relativistic effects are negligible and would not significantly impact the average rate of aging. This is because the body's aging is affected by biological processes, which are not significantly affected by relative speeds or gravity differences. Therefore, people on both planets would experience the passage of time normally and would not notice a difference in their lifespan unless they compared it to someone on the other planet.
complexPHILOSOPHY
If we were to take the present Earth and set it into gravitational orbit around another star revolving at a rate of once every 92 Earth days, would the people in that orbit age faster, slower or at the same rate as those in the current Earth's orbit?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would depend on if the Earth is orbiting slower or faster around the other sun. The relativistic effects would be pretty small though.

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
If we were to take the present Earth and set it into gravitational orbit around another star revolving at a rate of once every 92 Earth days, would the people in that orbit age faster, slower or at the same rate as those in the current Earth's orbit?

The same rate. (Relativistic effects are completely negligible.)

dav2008 said:
It would depend on if the Earth is orbiting slower or faster around the other sun. The relativistic effects would be pretty small though.

Let me phrase my question. If we were to clone a copy of the Earth and set it into orbit around another star whose gravitational force caused the Earth Clone to revolve at a rate of once every 92 days (Original Earth revolves = 365 days; Earth Clone revolves = 92 Days) would the average rate of aging on the Earth Clone compare or contrast to the aging rate on the Original Earth?

EL said:
The same rate. (Relativistic effects are completely negligible.)

Okay, that's what made the most logical sense to me.

This is the first thread I've ever seen that has more replies (4) than it does views (3).

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
Let me phrase my question. If we were to clone a copy of the Earth and set it into orbit around another star whose gravitational force caused the Earth Clone to revolve at a rate of once every 92 days (Original Earth revolves = 365 days; Earth Clone revolves = 92 Days) would the average rate of aging on the Earth Clone compare or contrast to the aging rate on the Original Earth?

Let me ask you a question: Why would people age faster or slower just because they happen to live on the other planet?
(Okay, in principle there may be small relativistic effects, but I guess that'll be something like seconds over a lifetime...that is completely negligible.)

i didnt think that astronomy had anything to do with peoples aging. i thought it was the oxygen after it had been used in the body (dont know what they are called in english) (maybe free radicals (i don't know)) that aged the body.

Jarle said:
i didnt think that astronomy had anything to do with peoples aging. i thought it was the oxygen after it had been used in the body (dont know what they are called in english) (maybe free radicals (i don't know)) that aged the body.

Well, after all your body is made of electrons and neutrons, and all other elemntary particles, and these particles are afected by the relativistic effect!

For example the twin paradox, it has something to do with aging.

Jarle said:

All those biological processes constitute a kind of clock, and clock rates are affected by relative speeds in special relativity and by gravity differences in general relativity.

Note that even if there was a relativistic difference (I'm not doing the math on this but the speeds are so low that I'd say it's negligible in this example), the 2 subjects would notice no difference in their lifespan unless they tried to compare their aging to the other person (i.e., each would feel the passage of time 'normally').

What is the definition of "Age Difference in Earth Orbit Around Another Star"?

The "Age Difference in Earth Orbit Around Another Star" refers to the difference in age between the Earth and another planet orbiting a different star.

How is the age difference in Earth orbit around another star calculated?

The age difference in Earth orbit around another star is calculated by comparing the age of the Earth to the age of the other planet's star. This can be determined through various methods such as analyzing the star's composition, its position on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, and its activity level.

Why is the age difference in Earth orbit around another star important to study?

Studying the age difference in Earth orbit around another star can provide valuable insights into the evolution and formation of planetary systems. It can also help us understand the likelihood of habitable planets and the potential for life on other worlds.

What factors can influence the age difference in Earth orbit around another star?

The age difference in Earth orbit around another star can be influenced by various factors, such as the initial conditions of the planetary system, the mass and composition of the star, and any interactions with other nearby stars. Additionally, the age difference can also be affected by the planet's distance from its star and the type of orbit it has.

Can the age difference in Earth orbit around another star change over time?

Yes, the age difference in Earth orbit around another star can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets or stars, changes in the star's activity level, and any major events such as collisions or mergers within the planetary system.