Calculating Divergence of a Function: A Berliner's Struggle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in vector analysis, specifically the calculation of the divergence of a given function. The conversation includes a question about the use of a power of -3/2 and an explanation is provided for the reason behind this. The conversation takes place between two individuals who are preparing for an introduction to electrodynamics course.
Daniel Jackson
Hi everybody,

I'm preparing myself for the introduction to electrodynamics course and thus I
go through vector analysis, but I hardly understand a problem given in my book
(Griffiths, Introduction to Electrodynamics 3rd edition, page 18, Problem
1.16):

I have to calculate the divergence of the following function:

see pic 1

Ok my problem is, I can't figure it out how the author calculates the result of it. He has the following approach...see pic 2 (between del and v should be a dot, cause it is meant to be the dot product, not the cross product!)

OK...so far, so clear...I understand this step but now, he goes ahead by taking x^2+y^2+z^2 to the power of -3/2. Why?? Where does this fraction of -3/2 comes from? Is there any rule I didn't know? :confused:

Anyway, thanks a lot in advance. Have a nice day...sincere greetings from Berlin, Germany

Daniel Jackson

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused. Are these supposed to be three stages in the solution of the problem? That's what they look like but the first is
[tex]v= \frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}[/tex]
while the second is
[tex]\nabla \cdot v= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{x}{r^3}\right)+\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{y}{r^3}\right)+\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{y}{r^3}\right)[/tex].
(Click on the formulas to see the code used.)

Was that supposed to be r3 in the first picture, as in the second? (And do you see the reason for the cube? Since [itex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r}[/itex] is itself a unit vector in the direction of the vector r, [itex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}[/itex] is a vector with length [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex] in that same direction. While this is an inverse square law, we need the cube in order to account for the length of r itself.)

Assuming that is the case then
[tex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}= \left( x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
so that
[tex]r^3= \left(\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}\right)^3= \left(x^2+ y^2+ z^2\right)^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

of course, the fact that the r3 is in the denominator means we have
[tex]\frac{x}{r^3}= \frac{x}{\left(x^2+ y^2+ z^2\right)^\frac{3}{2}}= x\left(x^2+ y^2+ z^2\right)^\frac{-3}{2}[/tex]
since the negative power corresponds to the term in the denominator (for example, [itex]2^{-1}= \frac{1}{2}[/itex]).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Daniel,

I can understand your struggle with this problem. The approach the author is taking is using the definition of divergence and applying it to the given function. The -3/2 power comes from the general formula for calculating divergence, which is:

see pic 3

This formula involves taking the partial derivatives of the components of the vector function with respect to each coordinate (x, y, z) and then summing them together. In this case, the function is a scalar function (since it has no direction) and the components are x, y, and z themselves. Therefore, when we take the partial derivatives, we get 1 for each component, resulting in the sum of 3. The -3/2 power comes from the fact that we are taking the inverse of the distance (x^2+y^2+z^2) to the power of 3/2, which is equivalent to taking the square root of the distance to the power of -3/2. This is a common occurrence when dealing with vector functions in electrodynamics.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the approach and formula used by the author. Keep up the good work in your studies and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What is the divergence of a function?

The divergence of a function is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate at which a vector field is either expanding or contracting at a given point. In simpler terms, it measures how much a function is "spreading out" or "squeezing" at a particular point.

2. How is divergence calculated?

The divergence of a function can be calculated using the divergence operator, which is represented by the symbol ∇ ·. This operator is applied to a vector field and the resulting scalar value is the divergence of the function.

3. What does a positive or negative divergence indicate?

A positive divergence indicates that the vector field is expanding, while a negative divergence indicates that it is contracting. This can also be thought of as the function having a source or a sink at that point, respectively.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating divergence?

Calculating divergence is used in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. In fluid dynamics, it helps to understand the flow of fluids in different scenarios. In electromagnetism, it helps to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In computer graphics, it is used to simulate realistic-looking smoke and fire effects.

5. Are there any limitations to using divergence?

While divergence is a useful tool in many applications, it is limited to vector fields in three dimensions. It also assumes that the function being analyzed is continuous and differentiable. In some cases, it may not accurately represent the behavior of a function, so it is important to consider the context and limitations when using divergence.