New Scooter Unboxing: 550km & $2 Fill-Up

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scooter
In summary, a group of friends discuss one's recent purchase of a scooter, with compliments and congratulations. They also discuss the cost and insurance involved and the benefits of owning a scooter. One friend mentions the idea of joining a scooter club for better insurance rates, while another talks about getting an ATV. The conversation also touches on the topic of transportation in Montreal and the benefits of using alternative modes of transportation.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I got my Scooter!

They are delivering it as of right now, so it's coming real soon.

I'll be posting some pictures later on tonight.

It only has 550km on it!

Hopefully, I can get it on the road and insured in the next 3-4 hours.

Wish me luck. :biggrin:

Note: It only cost $2 to fill up!

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
They are delivering it as of right now, so it's coming real soon.

I'll be posting some pictures later on tonight.

It only has 550km on it!

Wish me luck. :biggrin:
Congrats!
Note: It only cost $2 to fill up!
You lucky punk!

JasonRox said:
Your going to ride to the insurance agent to get insured? :rolleyes:

Congrats, and ride safely!

I'm afraid that I can't be seen talking to you in public now you own a scooter Jason.

~H

Well, no pictures yet. Ugly day today.

The mechanics today loved it. They all gathered around talking about people they knew who had one! I even got the Safety Certificate for HALF PRICE!

Now everyone at work is just waiting to see it.

There has only been two people who thought it was stupid in about 30 that I've mentionned it to.

Anyways, I hope to have some pictures up soon.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
There has only been two people who thought it was stupid in about 3 that I've mentionned it to.
Ummm, did I misread something there :rofl:

That's awesome, congratulations. Did you find a better insurance rate or something?

scorpa said:
That's awesome, congratulations. Did you find a better insurance rate or something?

Yeah, I did.

I found one as low as $737. That's the best I can find and the only one under $1000.

I also found a great deal on a scooter too. Scooter and helmet for $1000. Helmet was brand new, and the scooter is a 1995 Yamaha with currently 515km. Seriously, it looks brand new.

I love it!

Note: I ended up looking for insurance on motorcycles and they were in the thousands! I looked at a 1987 Honda Hurricane (sports bike) and it quoted me at $13 000CDN! WTF?!

Note: Clean record and no claims for 5 years since I started driving.

Note: Insurance will drop to $500 or less next year.

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Ummm, did I misread something there :rofl:

I live in a small town. :redface:

JasonRox said:
Yeah, I did.

I found one as low as $737. That's the best I can find and the only one under $1000.

I also found a great deal on a scooter too. Scooter and helmet for $1000. Helmet was brand new, and the scooter is a 1995 Yamaha with currently 515km. Seriously, it looks brand new.

I love it!

Note: I ended up looking for insurance on motorcycles and they were in the thousands! I looked at a 1987 Honda Hurricane (sports bike) and it quoted me at $13 000CDN! WTF?!

Note: Clean record and no claims for 5 years since I started driving.

Note: Insurance will drop to $500 or less next year.

That's great to hear that you found a good price. The quote on the old honda is insane, I mean sportbikes are always going to be more money to insure but that just seems stupid, I've never heard of anyone paying that kind of money to insure a bike let alone one that old.

Jason that is crazy money, are there any scooter clubs you could join?
they usually know where to get the best rates.

wolram said:

Jason that is crazy money, are there any scooter clubs you could join?
they usually know where to get the best rates.

I'm going to look into it.

I met a girl who was paying $400 and was older than I. That's not that much of a savings since they charge guys more.

Scooters are cool because they don't use any gas, however although they are safer than bicycles, they are still dangerous considering that nobody around here knows how to drive. Plus you can't go on the highway with one here, so its pretty useless for a grown up to have a scooter in Montreal, unless that person only rides it around downtown, but then a bicycle is a much, much better option.

Having said this, have fun with your scooter, myself, I might be getting an ATV sometime this summer so that I can have fun riding around on something that's small and makes a lot of noise :)

ToxicBug said:
Scooters are cool because they don't use any gas, however although they are safer than bicycles, they are still dangerous considering that nobody around here knows how to drive. Plus you can't go on the highway with one here, so its pretty useless for a grown up to have a scooter in Montreal, unless that person only rides it around downtown, but then a bicycle is a much, much better option.

Having said this, have fun with your scooter, myself, I might be getting an ATV sometime this summer so that I can have fun riding around on something that's small and makes a lot of noise :)

A friend of mine is getting an ATV too.

It's fun to have a toy to play with.

ToxicBug said:
Plus you can't go on the highway with one here, so its pretty useless for a grown up to have a scooter in Montreal, unless that person only rides it around downtown, but then a bicycle is a much, much better option.

Oh great, more people who are so brainwashed as to think that automobiles are the only way to get around -- or that bicycles and scooters are for children.

I guess I don't really care after all, though. Every Friday evening, I pass roughly a thousand cars, idling, stopped in gridlocked traffic on suburban arterial roads. I'm healthier, happier, and enjoy my ride home more than anyone stuck in such a metal cage. You guys can keep your cars, your "symbols of freedom," and enjoy the gridlock all you want. Have fun.

- Warren

chroot said:
Oh great, more people who are so brainwashed as to think that automobiles are the only way to get around -- or that bicycles and scooters are for children.

I guess I don't really care after all, though. Every Friday evening, I pass roughly a thousand cars, idling, stopped in gridlocked traffic on suburban arterial roads. I'm healthier, happier, and enjoy my ride home more than anyone stuck in such a metal cage. You guys can keep your cars, your "symbols of freedom," and enjoy the gridlock all you want. Have fun.

- Warren

This is North America. :grumpy:

You guys can keep your cars, your "symbols of freedom," and enjoy the gridlock all you want.
In California, motorcycles can drive in car pool lanes, and can split lanes; drive between lines of traffic, which turns out to be safer than driving in stop and go traffic, due to the probability of getting rear-ended is higher than getting sideswiped while splitting lanes.

I guess you don't live in China or India where you have to drive over people to go your way. In these places you want a hummer or an SUV.

wow your insurance is expensive! I am riding my scooter to work every day now. For the whole year full coverage is $250. How old are you? man I would hate to spend $700 that's crazy!

matthew baird said:
wow your insurance is expensive! I am riding my scooter to work every day now. For the whole year full coverage is $250. How old are you? man I would hate to spend $700 that's crazy!

I'm turning 23!

Clean record!

Who wants to live in Ontario? Nobody because...

- Insurance Prices are sky high. (They average 2 to 3 times more than other provinces.)
- No jobs.
- No jobs for students unless you want to get paid minimum wage which is like way below poverty.
- Tuition is twice as high or more than any other province.
- Healthcare system is rated as worse in the country.
- Cost of living isn't the greatest.

I'll come up with more another day, but that should be bad enough.

JasonRox said:
I'm turning 23!

Clean record!

Who wants to live in Ontario? Nobody because...

- Insurance Prices are sky high. (They average 2 to 3 times more than other provinces.)
- No jobs.
- No jobs for students unless you want to get paid minimum wage which is like way below poverty.
- Tuition is twice as high or more than any other province.
- Healthcare system is rated as worse in the country.
- Cost of living isn't the greatest.

I'll come up with more another day, but that should be bad enough.

How much do you pay for tuition in Ontario? I pay a little over 5000 bucks for the year (at U of A) and I think that's bad enough.

I am laughing at you guys. I don't pay for all that. I am a hobo! You should come be hobos with me, because we don't have to pay bills! Woo hoo!

scorpa said:
How much do you pay for tuition in Ontario? I pay a little over 5000 bucks for the year (at U of A) and I think that's bad enough.

The average tuition in Ontario is $5500 I believe.

You won't find less than $5000. You can find over $10000 though.

1. How does the scooter achieve 550km on a full tank?

The scooter's engine is designed to be highly efficient, using advanced technology and lightweight materials to maximize fuel efficiency. Additionally, the scooter's aerodynamic design helps to reduce drag and improve fuel economy.

2. Is the $2 fill-up cost accurate?

Yes, the $2 fill-up cost is accurate. The scooter has a small fuel tank and is designed to be highly fuel-efficient, allowing it to travel long distances on a small amount of fuel. This results in a low cost to fill up the tank.

3. What type of fuel does the scooter use?

The scooter uses regular gasoline, just like a standard car or motorcycle. It does not require any special type of fuel.

4. How long does it take to charge the scooter's battery?

The scooter's battery is not rechargeable. It is powered by the engine, so there is no need to charge it separately.

5. Is the scooter easy to assemble after unboxing?

Yes, the scooter is designed to be easy to assemble after unboxing. It comes with clear instructions and all the necessary tools, making it a simple process for most users.