Solving Reduction Formula: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a reduction formula to find the primitive of sin²x and provides an example of how this formula can be used. The reduction formula is proven in Example 6 and can be applied to the problem at hand to find the solution.
suspenc3
Hi, I am having trouble understanding this question, I have looked over a few examples, but I'm still confused about the process.

A)Use the reduction formula to show that:

[tex] \int sin^2xdx = \frac {x}{2} - \frac{sin2x}{4} + C[/tex]

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're referring to the reduction of the exponent?

Using cos(2x) = cos²x-sin²x combined with cos²x+sin²x = 1, you can derive the following formulas to get rid of a square in cos or sin:

sin²x = (1-cos(2x))/2 and cos²x = (1+cos(2x))/2

Try to verify this yourself.

Now, using the first formula, do you see how the integral was done?

i am still confused, this is the first question like this I have done. The question says to refer to ex.6...here it is:

[tex] \int sin^nxdx = -\frac{1}{n}cosxsin^n^-^1x + \frac{n-1}{n} \int sin^n^-^2xdx[/tex]

let: [tex]u=sin^n^-^1[/tex]

[tex]dv=sinxdx[/tex]

[tex]du = (n-1)sin^n^-^xcosxdx

[tex] v=-cosx[/tex]

integration by parts;

[tex]\int sin^nxdx = -cosxsin^n^-^1x + (n-1) \int sin^n^-^2xcos^2xdx[/tex]

I see, they really mean a reduction formula for the integral (a bit overkill for such an integral, imho).

In that case, compare the formula (your first line) with the problem. It's exactly the same, only n = 2.
So apply the formule with n = 2, no integration by parts is necessary (unless you'd want to prove the reduction formula, but that isn't asked here!)

[tex] \int sin^2xdx = \frac {x}{2} - \frac{sin2x}{4} + C[/tex]

so [tex] u=sin^n^-^1[/tex]...i get that part..and end up with only -sinx

Are you trying to prove the reduction formula you gave?
I don't understand why you keep coming that this 'u' for a substitution.

I understand the problem as:

Find

[tex] \int sin^2xdx [/tex]

Using the formula

[tex] \int sin^nxdx = -\frac{1}{n}cosxsin^n^-^1x + \frac{n-1}{n} \int sin^n^-^2xdx[/tex]

Is that what you're supposed to do? If so, apply this last formula with n = 2.

I am trying to show[tex] \int sin^2xdx = \frac {x}{2} - \frac{sin2x}{4} + C[/tex]
using the reduction formula shown in example 6:[tex] \int sin^nxdx = -\frac{1}{n}cosxsin^n^-^1x + \frac{n-1}{n} \int sin^n^-^2xdx[/tex]

and in that example they let [tex]u=sin^n^-^1[/tex]etc...shouldnt i do the same for what i am trying to show?

i made this too complicated...hahaha so easy..nvm i understand now

thanks

I think that in example 6, they have proven this formula. In order to do this, they'll have used integration by parts I assume.
What you now have to do (*I think*), is use this formula (not prove it again) on the particular problem.

In ex 6, they've set up a relation between the integral of sin(x)^n and an integral with sin(x)^(n-2), so this formula allows you to reduce the exponent by 2 every time you apply it. Now in your problem, you wish to find the primitive of sin²x, you can use this formula with n = 2.

What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical equation that is used to solve a problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. It is often used in calculus to solve integrals and series.

Why is it important to use a step-by-step guide when solving a reduction formula?

A step-by-step guide provides a clear and organized approach to solving a reduction formula. It helps to break down the problem into smaller steps, making it easier to understand and follow. This can also help to avoid mistakes and ensure the accuracy of the solution.

How do I know when to use a reduction formula?

Reduction formulas are typically used when solving integrals or series that involve a repetitive pattern. If you notice that the problem can be broken down into smaller parts that follow a similar pattern, then a reduction formula may be applicable.

What are the key steps to solving a reduction formula?

The key steps to solving a reduction formula are: identifying the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, finding a pattern, using the reduction formula to solve for one part, and then using that solution to solve for the entire problem.

Are there any tips or strategies for solving reduction formulas?

Yes, some tips for solving reduction formulas include: identifying the pattern, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the problem, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of reduction formulas to improve your skills.