Method of images and infinite conducting sheet

In summary, the problem involves an infinite conducting sheet with a hemispherical bubble of radius a. The boundary conditions for the potential are set to zero and the problem is approached using CGS units. The problem is a 3D case and requires a series of image charges to satisfy the boundary conditions. The potential for the hemisphere is given by V = q \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-z_{0})^2}} - \frac{(a^2/z_{0})}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-(a^2/z_{0})^2}}\right). The solution for the mixed case involves a series of image charges and
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

An infinite conducting sheet has a hemispherical bubble of radius a. (Refer to the diagram)

2. The attempt at a solution

ok i know the boundary conditions should be (Phi refresents the potential)
And we are working in CGS units... units with which i am not entire comfortable.
Z is the vertical and Y is the horizontal
[itex] \Phi(y, \sqrt{a^2 - y^2}) = 0 [/itex] for [itex] -a\leq y\leq a [/itex]
[itex] \Phi(y,0) = 0 [/itex] where y<= -a and y=> a

Should i be considering the 3D case because it does say bubble...
i know how to do this for a plane and a sphere but this 'mixed' case has got me confused.

i thought of locating a charge at a point (-z0+2a,0) and that satisifes condition 1 but not condition 2

it doesn't work for any point other tan this one so no..

maybe i am not thinking about something and so I am stuck!

i think that there would be more than one point charge on th segment y = -z0 +2a

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,079
Physics news on Phys.org
hi stunner. i think you should be thinking about the 3d case. i remember doing this problem a while back. your right to set the potential to zero on the conductor. i remember having to place more than one image charge to make it work.

NB: the 3D case is actually much simpler... you may need a series of images .. hopefully it will converge (ie. the magnitude of the image charge you insert will progressively become smaller) my guess is that all of them will be on the Z axis judging by the symmetry of the problem.

i was thinking there were more than 1 image charges

i thought of a sperposition between the case of the plane and the case of a hemisphere (which is similar to that a sphere, i think)

for the plane

[tex] V = q \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-z_{0}}^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z+z_{0})^2}}\right) [/tex]

for the hemisphere ... satisifes all those requirement of a sphere for y > 0

[tex] V = q \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2 + z_{0}^2 - 2rz_{0}\cos\theta}} - \frac{a/z_{0}}{\sqrt{r^2 + (a^2/z_{0})^2 - 2r(a^2/z_{0})\cos\theta}} [/tex]

where d
i think i t would be better to convert to cartesian coords
then the solution for the hemisphere is
[tex] V = q \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-z_{0})^2}} - \frac{(a^2/z_{0})}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-(a^2/z_{0})^2}}\right) [/tex]

the potential is then
[tex] V = q\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-z_{0})^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z+z_{0})^2}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-z_{0})^2}} - \frac{(a^2/z_{0})}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + (z-(a^2/z_{0})^2}} \right) [/tex]

this will not satisfy the boundary condtion when y>=a and y<= -a entirely as the 2nd and 3rd terms will not disappear.

need another charge to cancel those terms which remain
[tex]V(0,y,0) = q\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{y^2+z_{0}^2}} - \frac{q(a^2/z_{0})}{\sqrt{y^2+(a^2/z_{0})^2}} \right) [/tex]

would i add some charge q' located ebtween the two image charges to cancel out the remaining terms?? Please help!

As u can see, you need more and more charges, that's why I suggested a series of images. I must admit I haven't tried solving this in full, but if i were you that's the step I will try:
continue adding in images to "fix up" any problems, check and see whether the magnitude of the newly included charges are progressively getting smaller, if so i suspect that the series would converge as your charges should be alternating in sign, if not, they may be conditionally convergent (much harder to prove sometimes) good luck

stunner5000pt said:

Homework Statement

An infinite conducting sheet has a hemispherical bubble of radius a. (Refer to the diagram)
1. To make the plane grounded, put -q at -z_0.
2. To make the sphere grounded put image charges -qa/z_0 and +qaz_0
at +a^2/z_0 and -a^2/z_0.

mmm... so the series terminates after 3 terms? Interesting.

i know how to do this for a plane and a sphere but this 'mixed' case has got me confused.

Since you know the answer for the individual, why don't apply the super-position principle on them to get the answer for the "mixed" case?

1. What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving electric fields and potentials caused by charged particles near conductors. It involves creating a virtual image of the original charge in a mirror position to account for the boundary conditions of a conductor.

2. How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by using the principle of superposition to add the electric field and potential contributions from both the original charge and its virtual image. This creates a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions of the conductor, resulting in an accurate representation of the electric field and potential in the given scenario.

3. What is an infinite conducting sheet?

An infinite conducting sheet is a hypothetical surface that has an infinite area and is able to conduct electricity without resistance. It is often used in the method of images as a boundary condition to represent an infinitely large conductor, such as the surface of a metal plate.

4. When is the method of images most commonly used?

The method of images is commonly used in electrostatics problems, particularly when dealing with conductors and their associated boundary conditions. It is also used in other areas of physics and engineering, such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics, to solve problems involving boundary conditions.

5. What are the advantages of using the method of images?

The method of images is advantageous because it allows for the quick and accurate solution of complex electrostatics problems involving conductors. It also provides a visual representation of the electric field and potential, making it easier to understand and interpret the results. Additionally, the method of images can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.