Tutorial on Argument and Fallacy

In summary, the article provides information on different types of arguments and how to best employ them in dispute resolution.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Science news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
I stumbled across this and thought some might find it useful.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html

and this as well

The Argument Clinic - http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/sn-python.html

The objective of argument or disputation is not only take an opposing position, but to provide evidence to support one's position. Otherwise, as is pointed out in the MP sketch, it's simply contradiction.

That's cool, I use wikipedia for logical fallacies, it's got some really great posts about them, and they are logical which makes a change for wikipedia, I accused Vanesch of being guilty of one not two weeks ago :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_ponens

In relation to MWI :smile: as the theory assumes QT is correct :smile: I don't think he agreed though.

Last edited:
Here is one that they missed:

Fallacy of Stolen Concept - An argument where your argument against the truth value of something implicitly demands that you accept the truth value of the thing you are trying to disprove in order to disprove it, making the argument incoherent and contradictory.

ex.

- "Langauge is meaningless" - If language is meaningless, then the statement "language is meaningless" is itself meaningless. When making the argument, you presuppose the meaningfulness of language.
- "Truth does not exist" - If there is no such thing as truth, then it cannot possibly be true that there is no such thing as truth.
- "I do not exist" - The speaker makes a statement about herself, and as such, presumes her own existence.
- "Reality is an illusion" - The very concept "illusion" is derived from the concept "reality"; that is, the concept "illusion" makes absolutely no sense, unless there is indeed "reality" with which it may be contrasted"

etc.

Moridin said:
Here is one that they missed:

Fallacy of Stolen Concept - An argument where your argument against the truth value of something implicitly demands that you accept the truth value of the thing you are trying to disprove in order to disprove it, making the argument incoherent and contradictory.

ex.

- "Langauge is meaningless" - If language is meaningless, then the statement "language is meaningless" is itself meaningless. When making the argument, you presuppose the meaningfulness of language.
- "Truth does not exist" - If there is no such thing as truth, then it cannot possibly be true that there is no such thing as truth.
- "I do not exist" - The speaker makes a statement about herself, and as such, presumes her own existence.
- "Reality is an illusion" - The very concept "illusion" is derived from the concept "reality"; that is, the concept "illusion" makes absolutely no sense, unless there is indeed "reality" with which it may be contrasted"

etc.

Don't tell those to the new agers. They thrive on these concepts.

"www.fallacyfiles.org"[/URL] does a lot of categorization of the various fallacies.

Last edited by a moderator:
And when debating with someone who repeatedly relies on fallacious arguments despite your best efforts to point out the error in their logic, it's best to take the upper road and refrain from sending them http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Borg, jim mcnamara and Enigman

What is a fallacy?

A fallacy is a type of flawed reasoning or argument that can deceive or mislead others. It is an error in logic that can make an argument seem more convincing than it actually is.

What are some examples of fallacies?

Some common examples of fallacies include ad hominem attacks, false dichotomies, and appeals to authority. Ad hominem attacks involve attacking a person's character rather than their argument. False dichotomies present only two options when there are actually more. Appeals to authority rely on the credibility of a person or source rather than the evidence presented.

How can I identify fallacies in an argument?

To identify fallacies in an argument, it is important to critically evaluate the logic and evidence presented. Look for any errors in reasoning, such as false assumptions, faulty comparisons, or emotional appeals. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with common fallacies and their definitions.

Why is it important to understand fallacies?

Understanding fallacies is important because it allows us to think critically and avoid being misled by faulty arguments. It also helps us to construct stronger and more convincing arguments ourselves.

Are all fallacies intentional attempts to deceive?

No, not all fallacies are intentional attempts to deceive. Some may be unintentional due to a lack of understanding of logic and critical thinking skills. However, some individuals may deliberately use fallacies to manipulate others and win arguments.