Circumference of the earth via latitute mesurement

In summary, to find the circumference of the Earth approximately, we need to use the distance and latitude of two cities at the same longitude. From the discussion, we can infer that 360 degrees of latitude corresponds roughly to the circumference of the Earth. This is because there are 90 degrees from the equator to the pole, which is 1/4 of the Earth's circumference. Therefore, the correct formula to use is 360 degrees of latitude corresponds to the circumference of the Earth. Using this formula, we can find the approximate circumference of the Earth by using the distance between two cities and their latitudes.
blumfeld0
Suppose I know city A is located at latitude 21 degrees exactly and city y is located at latitude 24 degrees exactly. I know the distance between the two cities is 400 kilometers.
I want to find the circumference of the Earth approximately

How do I do this?

My feeling is that we
subtract the two latitudes to find 24-21 = 3 degrees

so 3 degrees corresponds to roughly 400 kilometers (1)

so 180 degrees of latitude corresponds roughly to X kilometers (2)

and I find that x = 24000 kilometers

is line (1) and (2) correct or should the second line read

360 degrees of latitude corresponds roughly to X kilometers??

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That works fine as long as the cities have the same longitude.

You should use 360deg not 180.

Last edited:
Hi. thank you for that. yes the cities are at the same longitude.
my problem is when i do this calculation with different, more realistic, numbers for latitude and distance than the ones i posted originally.

i.e the more realistic numbers are 37.977 degrees of latitude
41.856 degrees of latitude and 430 km is the distance betwee these two cities. i get an answer that is exactly a factor of two off from the true circumference of the earth?

i get about 20000 km

when it should be 40000 km.
so that is why i was thinking it should be 360 and not 180 degrees

so why am i off?

thanks

Post your arithemtic.

I get 40,000km

oh wait sorry i didnt see your previous post where you said to use 360. that's exactly my question
why 360?
arent there 180 degrees of latitude?
i understand if i use 360 i get the answer.
but there are 360 of longitude not latitude and we only know the latitudes of the cities?

Last edited:
There are 90 degs from equator to pole, that is 1/4 the circumference of the earth, 4*90=360.

1. What is the circumference of the earth using latitude measurements?

The circumference of the earth using latitude measurements is approximately 40,075 kilometers (24,901 miles). This is the distance around the earth at the equator.

2. How is the circumference of the earth calculated using latitude measurements?

The circumference of the earth is calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference, π is the mathematical constant pi, and r is the radius of the earth. This formula takes into account the shape of the earth, which is not a perfect sphere but slightly flattened at the poles.

3. Can the circumference of the earth be measured using latitude alone?

No, the circumference of the earth cannot be measured using latitude alone. Latitude is a measure of the distance north or south of the equator, and does not provide enough information to calculate the circumference. Other factors such as longitude and elevation must also be taken into account.

4. How has the measurement of the earth's circumference changed over time?

The measurement of the earth's circumference has changed over time due to advancements in technology and more accurate measurement techniques. In ancient times, estimates of the earth's circumference ranged from 28,000 to 70,000 kilometers. However, modern measurements using satellites and advanced surveying techniques have provided a more precise measurement of approximately 40,075 kilometers.

5. Is the circumference of the earth the same at all latitudes?

No, the circumference of the earth is not the same at all latitudes. This is because the earth is not a perfect sphere, it bulges slightly at the equator and is flattened at the poles. This means that the circumference at the equator is longer than at higher latitudes. In fact, the circumference at the poles is approximately 40,008 kilometers (24,860 miles), slightly shorter than the circumference at the equator.