Analyzing Projectile Motion Data: How Do I Create Relevant Graphs?

In summary, a student is seeking help with a coursework for the AS advancing physics course. The coursework involves analyzing data about a projectile experiment and producing graphs. The student is uncertain about how to approach the task and mentions the possibility of using parabolas. They are also unsure about the type and amount of data given. It is suggested that they may need to use equations for parabolic throw to complete the coursework.
Fage
Hi I am trying to do the "making sense of data" coursework for the AS advancing physics course. The problem is in for this thursday and I can;t do it. We have been given data about an experiment which invovles a projectile leaving a tube. We know the initial velocity of the projectile, the horizontal distance it has traveled and the height it leaves the tube. We are supposed to analyse this data and produce graphs but I don't know how?? I think it has something to do with parabola. If anyone could help asap with a coursework I could look at or some advice it would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see, what kind of graphs do you need to produce? Do you know the equations that describe the projectile's motion?

You are probably asked to plot time versus height or horizontal versus vertical distance. You say you were given data. Do you know what they are? how many data points were you given?

If, instead of a table or a list of numbers, you were given just initial parameters, you will probably need to plug them into the equations for parabolic throw.

1. What is the AS Advancing Physics course?

The AS Advancing Physics course is a one-year course that is part of the A-levels curriculum in the United Kingdom. It is an advanced level physics course that covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, waves, particles, and electricity. It is designed to prepare students for further studies in physics or related fields.

2. What are the entry requirements for the AS Advancing Physics course?

The entry requirements for the AS Advancing Physics course may vary depending on the school or institution offering it. Generally, students are expected to have a good understanding of mathematics and basic physics concepts covered in GCSEs or equivalent qualifications. It is also recommended to have a grade B or above in GCSE physics and mathematics.

3. How is the AS Advancing Physics course different from other A-level physics courses?

The AS Advancing Physics course is unique in its approach to teaching physics. It focuses on developing students' understanding and skills in problem-solving, experimental work, and critical thinking. It also incorporates real-life applications of physics to make the subject more engaging and relevant for students.

4. What are the assessments like in the AS Advancing Physics course?

The AS Advancing Physics course is assessed through a combination of written examinations and practical assessments. The written exams cover theoretical knowledge, while the practical assessments evaluate students' experimental skills. There is also a coursework component, where students complete an independent investigation and report their findings.

5. What are the potential career paths after completing the AS Advancing Physics course?

The AS Advancing Physics course provides a strong foundation for further studies in physics or related fields such as engineering, astronomy, or materials science. It can also lead to careers in research and development, education, or technology. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from this course are transferable to a wide range of industries and professions.