Solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solutions to the one-dimensional time-dependent Schrodinger's wave equation and whether the sum and product of these solutions are also solutions. The full time-dependent Schrodinger equation is provided and it is stated that the key point is linearity and superposition. The process of showing that the sum of two solutions is also a solution is discussed.
Nothing000

Homework Statement

Assume that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] are solutions of the one-dimensional time-dependent Schrodinger's wave equations.
(a) Show that [tex] \psi_{1} + \psi_{2} [/tex] is a solution.

(b) Is [tex] \psi_{1} \cdot \psi_{2} [/tex] a solution of the Schrodinger's equation in general?

Homework Equations

Is this the "One-Dimensional Time-Dependent Schodinger's Wave Equation":
[tex] \eta = \imath \hbar \cdot \frac{1}{\phi(t)} \cdot \frac{\partial \phi(t)}{ \partial t}[/tex]

If so, it says in my book that the solution is [tex] \phi(t) = e^{- \imath (\frac{E}{\hbar})t [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling that all I have to do is show that these solutions are linear, then use the superposition technique.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equation is *half* of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation in the special case that there is no potential energy, and *after* separation of variables has been performed in x and t. (The other half involves x, and not t.)

Yes, linearity and superposition is the key point.

So I don't really even need to know what the solutions are? All I need to do is some sort of "proof" that the sum of the two solutions to the linear P.D.E. is also a solution?

If that is the case, do you think you could help me get started with working that out?

Could you please write the full time-dependent schodinger equation?

Anyone?

In one space dimension, the full time-dependent Schrodinger equation is

[tex]i\hbar{\partial\over\partial t}\psi(x,t) = \left[-{\hbar^2\over2m}{\partial^2\over\partial x^2}+V(x)\right]\psi(x,t)[/tex]

Edit: the derivative on the right-hand side is wrt x, now fixed and correct.

Last edited:
So how do I show that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] have linearity and superposition can be used to create a third solution?

You know that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] obey this equation. You want to show that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) + \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] does as well. So, plug [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) + \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] into the equation. Can you used what you know to show that the result is true?

1. What is Schrodinger's Wave Equation?

Schrodinger's Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, such as electrons in atoms. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926.

2. Why is Schrodinger's Wave Equation important?

Schrodinger's Wave Equation is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, such as the energy levels and wave functions of electrons in an atom. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and has been used to explain many phenomena in the world of subatomic particles.

3. What are the solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation?

The solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation are wave functions, which describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain location and with a certain energy. These solutions can be used to calculate the energy levels and other properties of quantum mechanical systems.

4. How are the solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation determined?

The solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation are determined using a process called "solving the equation." This involves applying mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables and boundary conditions, to find the appropriate wave function for a given system.

5. What are some real-world applications of Schrodinger's Wave Equation?

Schrodinger's Wave Equation has been applied in many fields, including chemistry, materials science, and electronics. It is used to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, and to design new materials and electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computers and other technologies that rely on quantum mechanics.