How Does Frequency Affect Electron Ejection in the Photoelectric Effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work function and maximum velocity of electrons ejected by radiation of a given frequency. The work function is calculated using the equation W = hf and the maximum velocity is found using KE = hf - W. The mass of the electron is also mentioned, with its units given in eV/(m/s)^2. The conversation ends with the need for further assistance in incorporating the electron mass into the calculations.
Marghk

Homework Statement

Having some problem with this question:

The threshold fequency for a material is 5.0*10^14 Hz. Find (a) the work function and (b) the maximum velocity of electrons ejected by radiation of frequency 8.0*10^14 Hz. The mass of an electron is 9.1*10^-31kg.

Homework Equations

(a) Can easily be found with W = hf.
: 6.62*10^-34*5*10^14
= 33.1*10^-20J

My teacher then asked me to calculate the above answer into Electron Volts, which I'm unsure of the answer.

(b) is also giving me some problems. I'm using the equation KE = hf - W, but I don't know where to finish the equation. Below is my attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

KE(max) = hf - W
= (6.62*10^-34*8*10^14) - (33.1*10^-20)
= 19.86*10^-20J

After this, I get stuck :S I know I need to incorporate the mass of the electron in, but I can't figure it out. If anyone could explain this, it would be great :D

Physics news on Phys.org
So the Joules to eV is pretty simple, so I'm going to omit it, though still feel free to ask for help. 1 electron volt = 1.60217646 × 10-19 joules

The mass of the electron is conveniently placed in units of eV/(m/s)^2, specifically for working in eV. The electron mass, in this form, is given by 0.511 MeV/c^2. Does this help?

The Photoelectric Effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation. In order to understand the problem given, we need to use the equation for the Photoelectric Effect, which is KE = hf - W, where KE is the kinetic energy of the emitted electron, hf is the energy of the incident radiation, and W is the work function of the material.

(a) To find the work function, we can use the equation W = hf, where h is the Planck's constant and f is the threshold frequency of the material. Plugging in the values, we get W = (6.62*10^-34 J*s)(5.0*10^14 Hz) = 3.31*10^-19 J.

Since the work function is usually expressed in electron volts (eV), we can convert the answer by using the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.6*10^-19 J. Therefore, the work function is 3.31*10^-19 J / (1.6*10^-19 J/eV) = 2.07 eV.

(b) To find the maximum velocity of the ejected electrons, we need to use the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is the velocity. We already know the value of KE from part (a), which is 19.86*10^-20 J. Plugging in the values, we get 19.86*10^-20 J = 1/2(9.1*10^-31 kg)v^2.

Solving for v, we get v = √(2*19.86*10^-20 J / 9.1*10^-31 kg) = 4.5*10^6 m/s.

Therefore, the maximum velocity of the ejected electrons is 4.5*10^6 m/s.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which certain materials emit electrons when they are exposed to light. This was first observed by scientist Heinrich Hertz in the late 1800s.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when photons, which are particles of light, strike the surface of a material and transfer their energy to electrons within that material. This energy causes the electrons to be ejected from the material, creating a current.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light and helped to develop the quantum theory. It also has practical applications in technologies such as solar panels and photomultiplier tubes.

4. What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity and frequency of the light source, as well as the properties of the material being used. Higher intensity and higher frequency light will result in a greater number of electrons being emitted.

5. Can the photoelectric effect be explained by classical physics?

No, the photoelectric effect cannot be fully explained by classical physics. Classical physics predicts that increasing the intensity of light should increase the energy of the emitted electrons, but this is not observed in the photoelectric effect. The quantum theory is needed to fully explain this phenomenon.