Is my experiment on spectroscopy conceptually correct?

In summary: A more permanent solution can be made by dissolving carbon dioxide in water and then freezing it. You can then use this solution to make your air free of CO2.In summary, the author is trying to find out how much CO2 is in air by using a spectrometer. They need to make sure the spectrometer is sensitive enough to detect differences in current and they will need to use a cell that will not absorb in the wavelength range they are looking for.
FedEx
Hi,
I wanted to know that whether my following experiment is conceptually correct or not.

I am making a project on spectrosopy. And I have created my files and chart and everything the only thing which is left is a working model.

Now what i am trying to do is to find out the amount of CO2 in air. Suppose we take a sample of air and we pass radiation having the wavelengths ranging from 1 to 50 micrometers, through it. Now CO2 aborbs radiation ranging from 5 to 20 micrometers . Now behind this sample we would keep a photodiode array.Hence the incident radiation would create electricity.

Now we would rehearse the same experiment again,with the absence of CO2 in the air. And this is what i don't know how to do.

Now both the times the current produced by the photodidodes would be different.So now if we study the voltage and magnitude of the current for both the experiments which would certainly be different,can we have some way in order to find out that how much amount of radiation is aborbed by CO2 so that we can find the total amount of CO2 in the gas?

I kow that i would certainly get wise answers and also suggetions which would help me do this experiment properly.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes you could do this. It will require you to make up several concentrations of CO2 in pure (no CO2) air. The range should bracket the expected value that you intend to measure. You must then determine if your new spectrometer is sensitive enough to respond to these differences in a reproducible way. Your photodiode must be stable enough to accurately respond to the different concentrations. If it is not, you must tailor the path length in your sample to give you enough CO2 to 'see'. If too much energy is absorbed by the CO2, you must reduce the path length to get enough energy on the photodiode.

Have you thought about the type of cell you will use for this work? Will plastics absorb in this wavelength range?

You can make air free of CO2 by bubbling air through a strong solution of base like sodium hydroxide. Pass the air through a drying column (use drierite or magnesium sulfate, anhydrous) and then into your evacuated cell.

1. What is spectroscopy and how does it work?

Spectroscopy is a scientific technique that involves studying the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. This can be done by passing light through a sample and analyzing the resulting spectrum of wavelengths. Different materials will produce unique spectra, allowing scientists to identify and study their properties.

2. Why is it important to ensure the conceptual correctness of a spectroscopy experiment?

Ensuring the conceptual correctness of a spectroscopy experiment is crucial because it allows researchers to accurately interpret their results. Spectroscopy can be a complex and sensitive technique, and any errors or flaws in the experimental design can lead to incorrect conclusions.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a spectroscopy experiment?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a spectroscopy experiment include using the wrong type of radiation, not calibrating equipment properly, and not taking into account potential sources of interference or background noise. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate analytical method for the specific sample being studied.

4. How can I determine if my experiment on spectroscopy is conceptually correct?

To determine if your experiment on spectroscopy is conceptually correct, it is important to thoroughly research the principles and techniques involved in spectroscopy. This includes understanding the properties of the radiation being used, the sample being studied, and any potential sources of error. Consulting with colleagues or experts in the field can also help to ensure the conceptual correctness of your experiment.

5. What steps can I take to validate the results of my spectroscopy experiment?

To validate the results of a spectroscopy experiment, it is important to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency and accuracy. Additionally, comparing the results to known standards or using multiple analytical methods can help to confirm the validity of the data. It is also important to carefully document all steps and procedures taken during the experiment for future reference.