Installing COMM.DRV: Alternative to $180 Cost?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    install
In summary, the speaker is just starting to learn C++ and is facing a problem with the installation process. They are being asked to install COMM.DRV, which is too expensive for them. They ask if there is an alternative available. The other person questions why a serial communication library is needed for learning C++, and provides a helpful link for accessing the serial port in Windows. The speaker expresses feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of things and praises DDURADO for being knowledgeable. They plan to try a different approach without relying on CD's help.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i am just starting to learn C++, my first problem is the installation
CD wants me to install COMM.DRV, this costs about $180, much
to expensive for me, is an alternative available?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Um, why do you need a serial communication library if your staring to learn c++?

Maybe this will help you if you need to access the serial port in windows:

http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/Languages/SerialIO.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe my iq is in decline i just can not keep up, everything seems
more complex today, i mean pitch me me straight and i can hit the
ball, but give me a curve shot i will miss, DDURADO you are one of
the best, i will try another tack, without CD "help," thanks.

1. What is the purpose of installing COMM.DRV?

The purpose of installing COMM.DRV is to provide an alternative to the costly $180 communication driver software. This allows for communication between hardware devices and software programs.

2. How do I install COMM.DRV?

To install COMM.DRV, you will need to download the driver from a reliable source and follow the installation instructions provided. This may involve copying the driver file to a specific location on your computer and then configuring the driver settings.

3. Is COMM.DRV compatible with all hardware devices?

No, COMM.DRV may not be compatible with all hardware devices. It is important to check the compatibility of the driver with your specific hardware device before installing it. If the driver is not compatible, it may cause issues with your device or not work at all.

4. Are there any risks associated with installing COMM.DRV?

There may be some risks associated with installing COMM.DRV, such as compatibility issues or potential conflicts with other drivers. It is important to backup your system before installing any new drivers and to only download drivers from trusted sources.

5. Can I uninstall COMM.DRV if I no longer need it?

Yes, you can uninstall COMM.DRV if you no longer need it. You can do this by going to your computer's control panel, selecting "Add or Remove Programs," and then selecting the option to uninstall COMM.DRV. However, it is recommended to check with the manufacturer or a technical support team before uninstalling any drivers.