Drag force (air resistance) and acceleration

In summary, the baseball's acceleration is -2bv when it is moving up and +2bv when it is moving back down.
nautikal

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown straight up. The drag force is proportional to v[tex]^{2}[/tex]. In terms of g, what is the ball's acceleration when its speed is half its terminal speed and a) it is moving up? b) it is moving back down?

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F=ma[/tex]
[tex]mg + bv^{2}=ma[/tex] - When the ball is moving up
[tex]mg - bv^{2}=ma[/tex] - When the ball is moving back down

The Attempt at a Solution

We did something like this in class except we used [tex]mg - kv=ma[/tex]. We went through the calculus and got an equation for v(t) and then took the derivative to get a(t). Following my notes, I did the calculus to get an equation for v(t), and then I took the derivative to get an equation for a(t) using [tex]mg - bv^{2}=ma[/tex]. Below is what I got (in the attachment). I haven't done calculus like this since last May, so there may be some errors, but that's what I got.

So I got an answer for a(t) for when the ball is moving down, but I don't know what to do in order to simplify it so that it's acceleration for "when its speed is half its terminal speed".

Attachments

• physics = wow.jpg
    physics = wow.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,786
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are really good at nonlinear calculus or I am missing something. How did you solve

[tex]\int_0^t dt = \int_{v(0)}^{v(t)} \frac{dv}{g + \frac{b}{m} v^2}[/tex]

Mindscrape said:
I think you are really good at nonlinear calculus or I am missing something. How did you solve

[tex]\int_0^t dt = \int_{v(0)}^{v(t)} \frac{dv}{g + \frac{b}{m} v^2}[/tex]

I did my algebra before this step a little differently to get [tex]\frac{1}{m}dt=\frac{1}{mg-bv^{2}}dv[/tex]

Then use U substitution to integrate. [tex]u=(mg-bv^{2})dv[/tex] and [tex]du=-2bvdv[/tex]

You need to first multiply both sides by [tex]-2bv[/tex] in order to be able to use the u substitution.

So you should have [tex]\frac{-2bv}{m}dt=\frac{-2bv}{mg-bv^{2}}dv[/tex]

Then plug in du and u so you have
[tex]\frac{-2bv}{m}dt=\frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

Next integrate... [tex]\int_0^t \frac{-2bv}{m}dt = \int_{v(0)}^{v(t)} \frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

So you get [tex]\frac{-bv^{2}t}{m}=ln\frac{mg-bv^{2}}{mg}[/tex]

The rest is algebra to solve for v.
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{mg}{b}(1-e^\frac{-bv^{2}}{m})[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, the problem is that you can't directly integrate

[tex]\int_0^t \frac{-2bv}{m}dt [/tex]

because there is a time dependence in v. Let me see what mathematica says.

Supposedly the solution is

[tex] v[t] = \frac{(\sqrt{g} \sqrt{m} Tan[\frac{(\sqrt{b} \sqrt{g} t)} {\sqrt{m}}])}{\sqrt{b}} [/tex]

Edit:
Yep, it gave the right soln. You could probably find the integral in an integral table somewhere.

Last edited:
Mindscrape said:
Yeah, the problem is that you can't directly integrate

[tex]\int_0^t \frac{-2bv}{m}dt = \int_{v(0)}^{v(t)} \frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

because there is a time dependence in t. Let me see what mathematica says.

Supposedly the solution is

[tex] v[t] -> \frac{(\sqrt{g} \sqrt{m} Tan[\frac{(\sqrt{b} \sqrt{g} t)} {\sqrt{m}}])}{\sqrt{b}} [/tex]

*shrugs*

I just went off my notes (where we had [tex]mg-kv=ma[/tex]), and in my notes we did [tex]\int_0^t \frac{-k}{m}dt = \int_{v(0)}^{v(t)} \frac{-k}{u}dv[/tex], where [tex]u=mg-kv[/tex] and [tex]du=-kdv[/tex]

We ended up getting [tex]v=\frac{mg}{k}(1-e^{\frac{-k}{m}t})[/tex]

But this was when we had [tex]F_{air}=kv[/tex]. Now we have [tex]F_{air}=bv^{2}[/tex] and things are a bit harder.

I now see that we have v and t in that integral so it doesn't work. Oh well, at least my paper looks all pretty with calculus all over it :).

P.S. How do you make the LaTeX images larger? I tried the \large and \huge but it doesn't have any effect. My solution for v two posts up is difficult to read.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure, but, if you haven't seen it already, there is a LaTeX for starters here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Alternatively, just say \textrm{exp}(blah) if you don't want a cramped exponential.

Is this a physics 1 class, classical mechanics, something else? Not a trivial differential equation to solve.

nevermind...I got it. Was overthinking this problem too much. Just needed to solve for terminal velocity and then divide by half, then plug back into the F=ma equation.

what was the answer to this question?

1. What is drag force and how does it affect acceleration?

Drag force, also known as air resistance, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air. It is caused by the friction between the object and the air molecules surrounding it. The magnitude of drag force increases with the speed of the object and can significantly affect its acceleration by slowing it down.

2. How does the shape of an object affect the drag force and acceleration?

The shape of an object plays a crucial role in determining the amount of drag force it experiences. Objects with streamlined shapes, such as airplanes, experience less drag force and can achieve higher speeds and acceleration compared to objects with non-streamlined shapes, such as a cube.

3. What is the relationship between drag force and surface area?

As the surface area of an object increases, so does the drag force. This is because a larger surface area means more air molecules coming in contact with the object, resulting in a higher frictional force. Therefore, an object with a larger surface area will experience more drag force and have a lower acceleration compared to an object with a smaller surface area.

4. How does air density affect drag force and acceleration?

Air density has a direct impact on drag force and acceleration. As air density increases, the drag force also increases, resulting in a lower acceleration. This is because denser air means more air molecules in the object's path, leading to higher friction and resistance.

5. Can drag force be completely eliminated?

No, drag force cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using techniques such as streamlining the shape of the object, reducing its surface area, or using lubricants to reduce friction. These techniques can help minimize drag force and increase acceleration.