Vector Analysis: Bridging Math and Physics with Rigor and Visuals

In summary: J. M. Youssef and P. J. Stein.In summary, the first book is a calc book that has terrible reviews, while the second book is a math methods book with terrible reviews. However, thanks anyway, as both books are good.
ice109
something for a mathematician that likes physics or a physicist that likes math. rigorous but with pictures and examples and the such?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like them both...especially the Bamberg&Sternberg one.

ice109 said:
the first one is a calc book apparently and has terrible reviews and the second one is a math methods book with terrible reviews but thanks anyway
I would take terrible reviews on Amazon.com with a grain of salt. Many of those reviews are by lazy, underprepared, or unprepared students who are looking to vent their frustrations with a book that they were not willing, ready or able to tackle. If none of those suggestions appeal to you, some standard textbooks for a second course in vector calculus / calculus on manifolds include Spivak, Calculus on Manifolds; Munkres, Analysis on Manifolds; C. H. Edwards, Advanced Calculus of Several Variables; and H. M. Edwards, Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach. Of those, the last book by H. M. Edwards is probably the closest to what you're looking for. But I would warn you that, since you cannot identify that vector analysis is the same as vector calculus or that it would likely be covered fairly extensively in a math methods book, you may not be adequately prepared to tackle any of these books.

Last edited:
You might like
http://www1.mengr.tamu.edu/rbowen/

Last edited by a moderator:
Bowen's book posted by robphy is really good, if you're willing to deal with ugly typesetting and some typos. Edwards' book on advanced calculus with differential forms is a current project of mine, so I'll let you know how it goes. A more typical book on vector analysis though,is Marsden & Tromba's Vector Calculus. EDIT: which I just realized has already been posted. Sorry.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: If you'd like to learn about differential forms, here's a paper on the arXiv which was turned into a book: A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms

Last edited:

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is a branch of mathematics and physics that deals with the properties and behavior of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the manipulation and analysis of vectors using mathematical tools such as calculus and linear algebra.

2. Why is vector analysis important?

Vector analysis is essential in understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the use of vectors. It provides a rigorous and visual approach to analyzing vector quantities, making it easier to comprehend and apply in real-world situations.

3. What are some common applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis has numerous applications in various fields, including mechanics, electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and computer graphics. It is used to describe and analyze the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and the behavior of waves and fields.

4. How is vector analysis different from scalar analysis?

Scalar analysis deals with quantities that have only magnitude, while vector analysis deals with quantities that have both magnitude and direction. This fundamental difference leads to different mathematical techniques and visual representations for solving problems in each type of analysis.

5. What are some resources for learning vector analysis?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials available for learning vector analysis. Some popular resources include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, and the Khan Academy's vector calculus course.