Kinetic energy around an axis - two methods?

In summary, you can find the kinetic energy of the total system by using either method 1 or method 2. Method 1 finds the moment of inertia around the y-axis and through the origin for each particle and then uses this in K = ½*I*w^2. Method 2 finds the center of mass and uses this in I = m*r^2.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have to find the kinetic energy of the total system; b has mass 2m and a has mass m. They rotate around the y-axis and and through the origin (0,0).

There's two ways of finding the kinetic energy of the system around the y-axis.

1) I find moment of inertia for each particle around the y-axis (and through the origin) and add - so it's 2*m*r^2+9*m*r^2 = 11*m*r^2. Then I use this in K = ½*I*w^2.

2) I find the center of mass: r_cm = (2*m*r+m*3*r)/(3m) = (5/3)r. I use this in I = m*r^2 and then use K = ½*I*w^2.

#2 doesn't work - why?

Attachments

• 134726A.jpg
    134726A.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait a minute.. when I use #2, I find the moment of inertia I_cm, not I_y, right?

I have another question.

If I want to find the kinetic energy, I can do it like this:

K = ½*I_total*w^2, where w^2 = v^2/r^2 - what radius are we talking about here? Is it the distance from center of mass to the point on the axis, on which they are turning?

Or can I only use K = ½*I_single*v^2/r^2 when looking at the particles individually, and then add the two energies? Here r is the perpendicular distance to the axis.

Last edited:
Niles said:

Homework Statement

I have to find the kinetic energy of the total system; b has mass 2m and a has mass m. They rotate around the y-axis and and through the origin (0,0).

There's two ways of finding the kinetic energy of the system around the y-axis.

1) I find moment of inertia for each particle around the y-axis (and through the origin) and add - so it's 2*m*r^2+9*m*r^2 = 11*m*r^2. Then I use this in K = ½*I*w^2.

2) I find the center of mass: r_cm = (2*m*r+m*3*r)/(3m) = (5/3)r. I use this in I = m*r^2 and then use K = ½*I*w^2.

#2 doesn't work - why?
When analyzing rotation of an extended body, you can't just replace the body by a point mass at its center of mass. (Imagine a body rotating about an axis through its center of mass. It has some rotational inertia. But replace it by a point mass at that point and it has none.)

Niles said:
I have another question.

If I want to find the kinetic energy, I can do it like this:

K = ½*I_total*w^2, where w^2 = v^2/r^2 - what radius are we talking about here? Is it the distance from center of mass to the point on the axis, on which they are turning?

Or can I only use K = ½*I_single*v^2/r^2 when looking at the particles individually, and then add the two energies? Here r is the perpendicular distance to the axis.
r is always the perpendicular distance to the axis. In the first case, for some reason you aren't given w but have the speed of some point, so you use that point's distance from the axis to calculate w.

Ok, so I can't find the kinetic energy of the total system by using

K = ½ * I_{total} * v^2/r^2? If I use this equation, I have to find it for each particle, and then add it?

My problem here is: In "K = ½ * I_{total} * v^2/r^2", what is r for the total system?

What you want to use is:
[tex] K = 1/2 I_{total} \omega^2[/tex]

How you find [itex]\omega[/itex] depends on what you're given.

If you happen to have the speed of one particular point of the rotating system, you can use it to find omega. r would not be for "the total system", but just for that particular point.

Ok, I still don't believe my question has been answered.

If I want to calculate the kinetic energy of the total system, I do like this:

K_total = ½*I_a*w_a + ½*I_b*w_b

The total moment of inertia is 11*m*r^2, and we call this I_total. The total kinetic energy, K_total, can also be found as

K_total = ½*I_total*w_system.

In w_system, what is the distance r? That is my question.

Ok, when reading your replies, my question has been answered.

Thank you very much!

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy around an axis?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy around an axis is K = ½ * I * ω², where K is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. What is the difference between the two methods for calculating kinetic energy around an axis?

The two methods for calculating kinetic energy around an axis are the rotational kinetic energy method and the translational kinetic energy method. The rotational method takes into account an object's moment of inertia, while the translational method only considers its mass and linear velocity.

3. How do I determine the moment of inertia for an object?

The moment of inertia for an object can be determined by using its mass, shape, and axis of rotation. There are different formulas for calculating moment of inertia for different shapes, such as a point mass, rod, or sphere.

4. Can kinetic energy around an axis be negative?

Yes, kinetic energy around an axis can be negative. This occurs when an object's angular velocity is negative, indicating that it is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen axis.

5. How is kinetic energy around an axis used in real-world applications?

Kinetic energy around an axis is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the energy of rotating machinery, analyzing the motion of objects in space, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.