How Do You Calculate Water Hardness and Molarity in EDTA Titration?

In summary, the conversation is about performing a lab experiment to determine water hardness using EDTA titration. The question involves averaging the volumes of EDTA used in the last two trials to calculate the moles of EDTA required for the titration and determining the molarity of metal ions present in the water sample. The conversation also touches on calculating the concentration of calcium in parts per million and drawing a Lewis dot formula for EDTA. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how the reaction of EDTA with metal ions fits into the Bronsted-Lowry and Lewis theories.
starlight5
EDTA titration?!URGENT NEED HELP

we did a lab in school to determine water hardness by EDTA titration. I did three trials , first one require 38mL , 2nd - 50 and third-42 the question was to averge the volumes of EDTA used in the last two titrations and to calculate the moles of EDTA required for the titration. do u just averge the two volumes and multiply it by the molar concentraion of EDTA to get the moles?

and how do u calculate the molarity of metal ion present in the water sample? i kno that EDTA binds the metal ions in a 1 to 1 ratio.

and for the question above how can u change it to ppm Ca

also when there is a question asking to draw a lewis dot formula of EDTA and show the 6 electron pairs donated by the lewis , am i just supposed to draw the lewis structure?

how does the reaction of EDTA w/metal ions fit into the bronsted lowry and lewis theories?
i kno that Bronsted-Lowry acids are defined as proton donors. (Protons are basically the same thing as positive hydrogen ions.) A Lewis acid though is defined as an electron pair acceptor.

For bases, Bronsted-Lowry bases are defined as proton acceptors, and Lewis bases are defined as electron pair donors.

I REALLY NEED HELP ! I DONT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS

Physics news on Phys.org
If you titrated the same replicate samples, then your precision is absolutely terrible. Did you really titrate three completely different samples, from each of three individual sources?

Yes, the EDTA anion coordinates in a 1 to 1 ratio with Calcium or Magnesium ion.

milligrams per liter is often taken as parts per million.

i titrated with the same sample

Your final answer depends on how you want the units. You might want units as calcium carbonate, or just as calcium ion. The typical unit is probably as calcium carbonate, even if there be any magnesium present.

You moles of EDTA which would be the same as moles of titrated metal ions, will be based on your titrant volume and your titrant concentration. Use the formula weight of calcium carbonate (if this is the kind of unit that you want to use) to convert to mass of calcium carbonate (remember, 1:1 mole ration for EDTA to metal ion). Now you need to use the volume of sample and the mass of calcium carbonate to find your sample concentration.

1. What is EDTA titration?

EDTA titration is a method used in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution. It involves the use of a chelating agent called ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) to form a complex with the metal ion, which then allows for the measurement of the metal ion concentration.

2. What is the purpose of EDTA titration?

The purpose of EDTA titration is to accurately determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution. This is important in many industries, such as pharmaceuticals and environmental monitoring, as well as in research and development.

3. How does EDTA titration work?

EDTA titration works by adding a known amount of EDTA to a solution containing the metal ion of interest. The EDTA forms a complex with the metal ion, and the endpoint of the titration is reached when all of the metal ion has reacted with the EDTA. The concentration of the metal ion can then be calculated based on the known amount of EDTA added.

4. What are the advantages of EDTA titration?

Some advantages of EDTA titration include its high accuracy and precision, as well as its versatility in being able to determine the concentration of a wide range of metal ions. It is also relatively easy to perform and does not require expensive equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to EDTA titration?

One limitation of EDTA titration is that it can only be used to determine the concentration of metal ions that form stable complexes with EDTA. It is also important to note that the pH of the solution must be carefully controlled in order for the titration to be accurate. Additionally, some metal ions may interfere with the titration, making it necessary to use a different method for analysis.