D-Spacing Physics Help: Understanding Adjacent Planes in Lattices

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, D-spacing is the distance between adjacent planes in a crystal lattice and is calculated using the Bragg equation. It is significant in crystallography as it provides information about the arrangement of atoms in a material. It also affects X-ray diffraction patterns and can be altered by changing the composition or arrangement of atoms, applying external forces, or due to defects in the lattice.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

By book says prove that the distance between two adjacent parallel planes of a lattice is d(hkl) = 2pi/|G| where g = gb_1 +k b_2 + l b_3 where the b_i are the primitive vectors of the reciprocal lattice.

Could someone clarify exactly what they mean by "adjacent"?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
"Next to" or 'alongside' or 'face-to-face'.

The term "adjacent" in this context refers to two planes that are parallel to each other and share a common lattice point. In other words, they are neighboring planes within the lattice structure.

To prove the given equation, we can use the concept of Bragg's Law, which states that the angle of incidence (θ) of an incoming wave on a crystal lattice is equal to the angle of reflection (θ') of the outgoing wave, and is related to the spacing between the planes (d) by the following equation: nλ = 2dsinθ, where n is the order of diffraction and λ is the wavelength of the incoming wave.

In this case, we can consider the incoming wave to be a plane wave, and the outgoing wave to be the reflected wave from the neighboring plane. This means that the angle of incidence and reflection are equal (θ = θ'), and we can rewrite the equation as nλ = 2dsinθ = 2dsinθ'.

Since the planes are parallel to each other, the angle of incidence and reflection are also equal to the angle between the planes (θ = θ'), which can be calculated using the dot product of the two primitive vectors of the reciprocal lattice: cosθ = (b_i • b_j) / (|b_i| |b_j|).

Substituting this into our equation, we get nλ = 2d(b_i • b_j) / (|b_i| |b_j|). Rearranging for d, we get d = nλ (|b_i| |b_j|) / (2(b_i • b_j)).

Since the b_i are the primitive vectors of the reciprocal lattice, we can express them in terms of the reciprocal lattice vector G: b_i = 2πG / |G|. Substituting this into our equation, we get d = nλ (|G| |G|) / (2(2πG • 2πG)). Simplifying, we get d = nλ / |G|^2.

Finally, we can use the definition of the reciprocal lattice vector G = gb_1 + kb_2 + lb_3 to express |G|^2 as |G|^2 = g^2|b_1|^2 + k^2|b_2|^2 + l^2|b_3|^2. Substituting

1. What is D-spacing in physics?

D-spacing, also known as interplanar spacing, is the distance between adjacent planes in a crystal lattice. It is an important concept in solid state physics and materials science.

2. How is D-spacing calculated?

D-spacing is calculated using the Bragg equation, which is 2d sinθ = nλ, where d is the interplanar spacing, θ is the angle of incidence, n is the order of diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the incident X-ray. This equation is derived from Bragg's Law, which states that for constructive interference to occur, the path difference between two waves must be an integer multiple of the wavelength.

3. What is the significance of D-spacing in crystallography?

D-spacing plays a crucial role in crystallography as it provides information about the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice. By measuring the d-spacing and using Bragg's Law, scientists can determine the crystal structure and properties of a material.

4. How does D-spacing affect X-ray diffraction patterns?

The value of d-spacing determines the angles at which constructive interference occurs and forms peaks in the X-ray diffraction pattern. By analyzing the positions and intensities of these peaks, scientists can identify the crystal structure and composition of a material.

5. Can D-spacing be altered?

Yes, D-spacing can be altered by changing the composition or arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice. This can be done through processes such as alloying, doping, or applying external forces like pressure or temperature. Changes in D-spacing can also occur due to defects or imperfections in the crystal lattice.