Exploring the Impact of Self-Discovery

• Thread starter bondgirl007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary: Eventually, I came to realize that the reason I was so angry was because I felt like he was looking down on me because of my height. By the time I realized this, it was too late. I had already lost the argument and felt like a fool.In summary, self discovery has had a negative impact on me in that I've become more detached from my self. I've also become more aware of my motivations and what drives me. It's an ongoing process, though, and I'm hopeful that I'll continue to grow and learn.
bondgirl007
What impact(s) has self discovery had on you? Were the effects adverse or otherwise?

Physics news on Phys.org
bondgirl007 said:
What impact(s) has self discovery had on you? Were the effects adverse or otherwise?
Please define what you mean by self discovery. For me, self discovery was as an infant. You need to be very specific.

Evo said:
Please define what you mean by self discovery. For me, self discovery was as an infant. You need to be very specific.

Most psychology and religious sources consider self discovery to be a continuous life process. I discover more about my self every time I post on the various sections of this cracking forum. Usually I discover that I don't know as much as I thought I did.

As for what impacts these ongoing discoveries have, well, that really depends what part of me you ask. My ego doesn't like me making a fool of myself but my intuition loves it for some reason.

All in all, self discovery is great. I'm 43 and I'm still a child when measured against the "know thy self" metric.

Evo said:

It can be any time where you uncover something new about yourself as an individual. It's an on going process throughout life - not just at infancy.

John Richard said:
Most psychology and religious sources consider self discovery to be a continuous life process. I discover more about my self every time I post on the various sections of this cracking forum. Usually I discover that I don't know as much as I thought I did.

As for what impacts these ongoing discoveries have, well, that really depends what part of me you ask. My ego doesn't like me making a fool of myself but my intuition loves it for some reason.

All in all, self discovery is great. I'm 43 and I'm still a child when measured against the "know thy self" metric.
Ok, uhm.

bondgirl007 said:

I didn't really answer this with my previous reply.

The impacts are a growing sense of detachment, I don't get hung up about my self like I used to when in my teens or early twenties. I know now about the different motivations that come from the various parts of me, ego, emotions, feeling, verbal intellect and intuition. I do things more for fun than reward these days.

Getting to know myself, my totality, has had its up and downs. But as I sit here writing this reply I can say with cincerity that I am happier, much happier than I was and this "is" an ongoing process. Part of me hopes it will never end and that I will continue to learn forever.

As a personal side note, I have come to realize that there is no true division between "out there" and "in here." The one can't exist for me without the other. I am as much of a mystery as the world that surrounds me. It the world that tells me what I am!

Self discovery is just something a psychologist can waive over your head.

When you feel good, you perceive yourself on the path to self discovery. When you feel bad, you've left the path of self discovery momentarily and need to re-examine things to get back on track. Eventually, everything evolves around your path to self actualization.

Humanistic philosophy is a naive tautology. It has its use by give its members continuous positive and negative feedback, but it's a little blank.

bondgirl007 said:

Cool question. I think that sometimes its not until many years after an event that you realize you discovered yourself during the event. It might be that you have utilized the information from that discovery to develop who you are today. When you realize when the initial discovery was and that you discovered a part of you at that time, and that this is what put you where you are today, this is like discovery all over again.

Like John Richards says, you're discovering yourself everyday, in every circumstance. Early on you might discover that you don't like having wet feet. Later on you find that you can't keep your feet out of the wet sand. This is why its hard to say that you know yourself.

I think that self-discovery is really important because I've seen some people do really dumb things when they don't realize why they think something or why they have particular habits. I had this boss once. He had a number of shortcomings which made him self-conscious and among them was that he was fairly short, several inches shorter than me.

I once got into a disagreement with him that escalated into a shouting match. He said, “Sit down. Sit down!” We were in a conference room next to a table and I thought he wanted to sit down and have a cool down and a more reasonable conversation. So I sat down, expecting him to as well.

But he remained standing! And continued shouting and shaking his finger at me and getting apoplectic. He just wanted to be taller than me because we were in a confrontation! Like a four-legged animal rearing up on its hind legs. To look bigger, like a frill-necked lizard wants to http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Home/Animals/Reptiles/Snakes-and-Lizards/Lizards/Behaviour/Threat-Displays/Threat-Displays-3.html". When I realized that it was all I could do not to laugh in his face.

Last edited by a moderator:
So "self discovery" is nothing more than living day to day. I can't even relate to what anyone except Flamingo said
Self discovery is just something a psychologist can waive over your head.
Unless you live under a rock how can you not experience something new everyday? It's called life.

I guess I don't have an epiphany every time I experience something new.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with being startled all of the time, I guess I'm probably the odd one for not being "self aware". :tongue2:

I guess I pay more attention to what's going on around me, like a pillar in the middle of my desk. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I guess I pay more attention to what's going on around me, like a pillar in the middle of my desk. :biggrin:

I would think you can have three things, one or all, a source of irratation, an object to totally ignore, or a pillar that can be put to some positive use.:grumpy::zzz::!)

Evo said:
So "self discovery" is nothing more than living day to day. I can't even relate to what anyone except Flamingo said Unless you live under a rock how can you not experience something new everyday? It's called life.

I guess I don't have an epiphany every time I experience something new.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with being startled all of the time, I guess I'm probably the odd one for not being "self aware". :tongue2:

Ha ha.. I saw that pillar... what wonderful architecture for you!

But, think of it this way. You are discovering a part of yourself that speaks up when confronted with this anomalous pillar... in your space and in your face!

Its like when I was pronounced dead in a car accident. I had to totally rediscover myself. And have been since. There are incidents that take us down to our bone and leave us to re-build up from there. I'd say its re-self-discovery rather than self discovery. And, of course, in re-discovering one's self, one discovers new things along the way.

baywax said:
Ha ha.. I saw that pillar... what wonderful architecture for you!

But, think of it this way. You are discovering a part of yourself that speaks up when confronted with this anomalous pillar... in your space and in your face!
As accident prone as I am, you know I'm going to bust a knee on that thing. :rofl:

Its like when I was pronounced dead in a car accident. I had to totally rediscover myself. And have been since. There are incidents that take us down to our bone and leave us to re-build up from there. I'd say its re-self-discovery rather than self discovery. And, of course, in re-discovering one's self, one discovers new things along the way.
Now that's totally different. A brush with death is not a common everyday occurence in a person's life. Would you say it changed your outlook on life? That I can relate to.

Evo said:
As accident prone as I am, you know I'm going to bust a knee on that thing. :rofl:

Now that's totally different. A brush with death is not a common everyday occurence in a person's life. Would you say it changed your outlook on life? That I can relate to.

Yes, Evo, the outlook on life from the brink of death is very different from looking at life when you're in the thick of it. Being accident prone can seem like a good thing!

I think going through the actuality of losing everything is the kind of shock that makes life less serious yet more precious. Its like those people that do acrobatics in planes or do the ski jump competitions, they're not afraid. They're doing something that could kill them at any second yet they're smiling through it all. That's what its like after being so close to checking out. Everything else is a piece of cake. Except this 16 page report I'm typing. Its funny how the little things can be the most annoying! I guess you have to discover the person in you that doesn't pet the sweaty stuff... er... sweat the petty stuff...

But that's what it does for you.. its like any of those incidents that shock you, you come back like a reflex. Nothing can be as hopeless and isolating as laying on the side of the highway, left for dead. You bounce back like a rubber ball. When I finally got into emergency I was a mess but I was chatting up the nurses and patients like there was no tomorrow... because I realized I was alive and wanted to drink every bit of the experience.

These types of new "self" discoveries are why we saw so many immigrants come to North America with nothing but with the abuse of their old customs... anything new and different was like finding Valhalla for their starved psyches. Then they rebounded to become very influential individuals.

Last edited:
I've had those same experiences as you, and I don't find any different 'self discoveries'. So something strange is going on. By all means, I should be having these moments of self discovery.

When a ball falls down and bounces back up, do we say that the ball learned of it's resiliance? When I drop a frisbee and pick it back up again, do I under-go a small moment of self discovery?

I really thought X about myself until adversity Y happened, and then I discovered o.
If person T isn't able to related, then he obviously hasn't discovered a, b, and c about himself. If he did, then he'd obviously be able to understand how I discovered o about myself was such a powerful moment for me. Now I'm X with o. Sadly, this person will not discover o for a very long time. Some are just more evolved than others I suppose.

It's an ignorant, though valid, look at the world. It's no better than Maslow's heirachy of needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Oh the arrogance that everyone can be reduced to a simple triangle and relate at this primitive level!

Listen, if you're going to reduce your experiences to a formula divised by a philosopher, then you're doing your experiences a disservice.

bondgirl007 said:
It can be any time where you uncover something new about yourself as an individual. It's an on going process throughout life - not just at infancy.

What CANT it be?

#1 If we were always naive before our moments of self-discovery
#2 And we are always waiting for the next moment of self-discovery
-----------------------------------------------------------------
#3 We are hopelessly and continuously naive.

Flamingo said:
I've had those same experiences as you, and I don't find any different 'self discoveries'. So something strange is going on. By all means, I should be having these moments of self discovery.

When a ball falls down and bounces back up, do we say that the ball learned of it's resiliance? When I drop a frisbee and pick it back up again, do I under-go a small moment of self discovery?

I really thought X about myself until adversity Y happened, and then I discovered o.
If person T isn't able to related, then he obviously hasn't discovered a, b, and c about himself. If he did, then he'd obviously be able to understand how I discovered o about myself was such a powerful moment for me. Now I'm X with o. Sadly, this person will not discover o for a very long time. Some are just more evolved than others I suppose.

It's an ignorant, though valid, look at the world. It's no better than Maslow's heirachy of needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Oh the arrogance that everyone can be reduced to a simple triangle and relate at this primitive level!

Listen, if you're going to reduce your experiences to a formula divised by a philosopher, then you're doing your experiences a disservice.

I suppose that some people may not have the room to grow with experience because they're already chock full of their own ideas about what life is or means to them.

baywax said:
I suppose that some people may not have the room to grow with experience because they're already chock full of their own ideas about what life is or means to them.

Are you referring to me, or people on self discovery journeys?

If you're referring to me, I don't think its very fair for you to say that my attitude is evidence that I'm not ready for a journey of self discovery. You have no idea who I am, or what experiences I've come from.

It's so convenient though! If you don't share moments of self discovery with the group, your not ready. That's why there's this everlasting 'need' to share these things. Because they must exist.

*urgh* if you're unwilling to share, then you're 'not ready'. It's just so tautological. I don't mind certain tautologies, but the frustration I run into with this one is that it's too small. If I'm going to believe a tautology, I want it to be huge so I don't even necessarily need to recognize it as such.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're referring to people who see things as a series of moments of self discovery (which I use to believe by the way) and opportunities for growth, then I holistically agree with you. It takes a tremendous ego to suggest that everyone must be akin to personal growth processes. It takes a tremendous ego to suggest that one is superior to another simply because one can brag about self discovery journeys that other simply cannot share.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's this for a critique! You're refutation is immature and immaterial. Rather than attack my ideas, you passive aggressively engage in an ad hominem by labeling me as someone who is 'not ready yet for growth'.

This is an inhibition. It's evidence that you're not entirely ready for the next step in personal growth. I'm deeply concerned about your most recent fruitless journeys on self exploration. You should write more in your dairy about these trying times, so that you can progress safely on your next voyage.

Now, falsify that last critique if you dare take this next step in self growth. Or, take this as further evidence that I'm not ready and ardently cling to your journeys and moments. Talk to others that hold you in esteem about how you were above it all, and everything.

*urgh* It's simply an attempt to make me yearn for the bandwagon. Do you really think that I should yearn for self exploration?

Last edited:
This is pointless and annoying. Thread locked!

oh, crap. That doesn't work anymore. :redface:

Math Is Hard said:
This is pointless and annoying. Thread locked!

oh, crap. That doesn't work anymore. :redface:
I told you not to give up the cloak!

Ok, I'll close the thread for you.

What is self-discovery?

Self-discovery is the process of gaining a deeper understanding of oneself, including one's beliefs, values, emotions, strengths, and weaknesses. It involves introspection, reflection, and self-awareness.

Why is self-discovery important?

Self-discovery is important because it allows individuals to understand themselves better and make more informed decisions in life. It can lead to personal growth, improved relationships, and a greater sense of purpose and fulfillment.

How can self-discovery impact one's life?

Self-discovery can have a significant impact on one's life by increasing self-awareness, improving self-esteem and confidence, and helping individuals identify and pursue their passions and goals. It can also lead to better mental and emotional well-being.

What are some effective ways to explore self-discovery?

There are many different ways to explore self-discovery, such as journaling, meditation, therapy, self-reflection exercises, and trying new experiences. It is essential to find a method that works best for you and to be open to learning about yourself.

Can self-discovery be a continuous process?

Yes, self-discovery is a continuous process as individuals are constantly changing and growing. It is essential to regularly check in with oneself and continue to explore and understand oneself throughout life.