Coefficient of friction due to water

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the coefficient of friction due to water for a submarine being pulled through water. It is mentioned that this is not a simple friction problem, but a complicated fluid dynamics problem. The speaker suggests looking into viscosity instead of friction.
spri4
I wasnt able to find anything on the internet, so maybe someone else can help. I need to know the coeifficient of friction due to water. Like say a submarine is being pulled by something through the water and what i need to know is what would the friction be for the submarine (if there is a universal number for friction by water) or how to solve for it. I am in 11th grade so hopefully the answer isn't too complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats going to be next to impossible for you to find. Its not a simple friction problem, but a complicated fluid dynamics problem. This is a very, very, very, tough problem.

Hi spri4! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Basically, friction is where the thing you're rubbing against stays where it is.

But when you move through a fluid (treacle, water, air, …), you drag some of the fluid with you. That's called viscosity, of course.

You need the viscosity, not the friction! :smile:

(You could try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity - but I don't recommend it! :smile:)

Thanks.

What is the coefficient of friction due to water?

The coefficient of friction due to water is a measure of the force needed to move one surface against another when they are in contact with water. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1.

How is the coefficient of friction due to water calculated?

The coefficient of friction due to water is calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface against another by the normal force between the two surfaces. This value is then multiplied by the constant value of 9.8 m/s^2.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction due to water?

The coefficient of friction due to water is affected by the type of surface, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature of the water, and the speed at which the surfaces are moving against each other.

Why is the coefficient of friction due to water important?

The coefficient of friction due to water is important in understanding the resistance between surfaces in contact with water. This information is crucial in various fields such as engineering, physics, and material science.

How can the coefficient of friction due to water be reduced?

The coefficient of friction due to water can be reduced by using lubricants, increasing the smoothness of the surfaces, or changing the material of the surfaces to a more hydrophobic material. Additionally, decreasing the speed at which the surfaces are moving against each other can also reduce the coefficient of friction.