Question about extentions of smooth functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a given function f in C^\infty(U, [0,1]) can be extended to a function g in C^\infty(R^n,[0,1]) on an open set U in R^n. After some discussion and consideration of different cases, it is suggested that if certain conditions are met, such as the existence of certain limits and a nice ball U, then such an extension may be possible. However, the proof is left as an exercise.
Aleph-0
My question is simple :

Suppose that [tex]f[/tex] is in [tex]C^\infty(U, [0,1])[/tex] where [tex]U[/tex] is an open of [tex]R^n[/tex] .
Is there [tex]g[/tex] in [tex]C^\infty(R^n,[0,1])[/tex] such that [tex]f=g[/tex] on [tex]U[/tex] ?

I would say yes, but I don't know how to prove it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try it for the special case n=1?

Take for example U=(0,1) and f:U->[0,1] defined by f(x)=x.

This satisfies your conditions, can you extend it to a C^\infty function on R...?

I'd say no but the proof is left to you. :smile:

If you were to replace [0,1] by [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], then I'd be with you that the assertion should hold true.

Last edited:
OK, I guess I should add some hypothesis on f and change the conclusion in order to have something that could be true:

Here is the new problem :

Let [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex].
Suppose that [tex]f[/tex] is in [tex]C^\infty(U, [0,1])[/tex] where [tex]U[/tex] is an open of [tex]R^n[/tex] and suppose that for any [tex] x_0 [/tex] in [tex]\partial U[/tex] (the boundary of U), and any n-multi-indice [tex]\alpha[/tex], the limit

[tex]
\lim_{x\in U, x\to x_0} \partial^\alpha f (x)
[/tex]

exists and is in [tex]R[/tex].

Is there [tex]g[/tex] in [tex]C^\infty(R^n,[-\epsilon, 1+\epsilon])[/tex] such that [tex]f=g[/tex] on [tex]U[/tex] ?

i would try reflecting f to the other side of the ball U, then using that to extend f a little bit, then chopping f off by a smooth bump function.

at least if U is a nice ball.

1. What are extensions of smooth functions?

Extensions of smooth functions refer to the process of extending a function defined on a compact subset of a smooth manifold to a larger subset of the manifold without changing its smoothness. This allows for the function to be defined and continuous on a larger domain.

2. How are extensions of smooth functions useful?

Extensions of smooth functions are useful in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as differential geometry, functional analysis, and partial differential equations. They allow for the study of functions on a larger domain, which can provide more information and insights about the function's behavior.

3. What are some methods for extending smooth functions?

There are several methods for extending smooth functions, including the use of partitions of unity, Whitney's extension theorem, and the use of cut-off functions. These methods ensure that the extended function maintains its smoothness and continuity.

4. Are there any limitations to extending smooth functions?

There are some limitations to extending smooth functions, such as the fact that the extended function may not be unique. Also, there are cases where it is not possible to extend a smooth function, such as when the function has singularities or discontinuities.

5. Can extensions of smooth functions be applied to non-smooth functions?

No, extensions of smooth functions can only be applied to functions that are already smooth on a compact subset of a manifold. For non-smooth functions, other methods such as approximation or regularization may be used to extend the function.