Fabry-Perot Interferometer as Principle for Bris-Minisextant

Any additional information on the functioning of this device in an optical sense would be greatly appreciated.
ctjen
I recently came across the Bris-Minisextant(wwwdotcassens-plath.de/catalog_web/096e_webdothtml) while researching sextants in general. While not truly a sextant in the conventional sense the device caught my attention and I started looking into what might be its underlying physical principle. This has brought me to the conclusion that it must be a variation of a Fabry-Perot Interferometer. I'm wondering if someone on the forum can confirm that this is in fact the basis of the device. I'm also trying to understand what controls the number of reflected images that one sees in the device. I'm tending to think that it has to do with the refractive index of the materials and/or reflectivity of the surfaces involved but if so I don't understand the relative influence of each. In the Fabry-Perot Interferometer the reflecting surfaces are intended to be parallel and in the Bris sextant they are of course at a definite angle. Varying the value of the angle doesn't change the number of images, only their relative separation. Any further information about how this device works (in the optical sense) is appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bris-Minisextant is indeed based on a Fabry-Perot Interferometer. The number of reflected images is determined by the reflectivity of the surfaces and the refractive index of the material used. The angle of the reflecting surfaces does not affect the number of images, but rather the relative separation of the images.

Thank you for bringing this interesting device to our attention, Chris. It does indeed appear that the Bris-Minisextant is based on the Fabry-Perot Interferometer principle. The Fabry-Perot Interferometer is a type of interferometer that uses multiple reflections between two parallel surfaces to create interference patterns, which can be used for precise measurements.

In the case of the Bris-Minisextant, the angle of the reflecting surfaces does not affect the number of images seen, but rather the separation between them. This is likely due to the fact that the device is designed to measure small angles, and the angle of the reflecting surfaces is carefully calibrated to achieve this precision.

The number of images seen in the device is controlled by the refractive index and reflectivity of the materials used. The parallel surfaces act as a partially reflective mirror, allowing some light to pass through while reflecting some back. The number of reflections and the intensity of the reflected light will depend on the refractive index and reflectivity of the materials involved.

It is also worth noting that the Fabry-Perot Interferometer is a well-established and widely used principle in various optical instruments, including spectrometers and lasers. It is known for its high precision and accuracy, making it a suitable choice for the Bris-Minisextant.

I hope this information helps in your understanding of the device. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

A Fabry-Perot interferometer is an optical instrument that uses the principle of interference to measure the wavelengths of light. It consists of two parallel glass plates with reflective surfaces, known as mirrors, that allow light to pass through multiple times, causing interference patterns to form.

2. How does a Fabry-Perot interferometer work?

A Fabry-Perot interferometer works by directing a beam of light through a partially reflective surface, causing the light to split into two beams. These beams then reflect off the two mirrors, creating a series of interference patterns. By measuring the spacing between these patterns, the instrument can determine the wavelength of the light being measured.

3. What is the principle behind using a Fabry-Perot interferometer for a Bris-Minisextant?

The principle behind using a Fabry-Perot interferometer for a Bris-Minisextant is to measure the wavelengths of light emitted from stars. This information can then be used to calculate the distance between stars and determine their position in the sky.

4. What are the advantages of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer for a Bris-Minisextant?

One advantage of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer for a Bris-Minisextant is its high precision in measuring the wavelengths of light. This allows for accurate calculations of star distances. Additionally, the instrument is compact and portable, making it suitable for use in space missions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fabry-Perot interferometer for a Bris-Minisextant?

One limitation of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer for a Bris-Minisextant is its sensitivity to external factors such as temperature and vibrations. These can affect the accuracy of measurements and require careful calibration and control. Additionally, the instrument has a limited range of wavelengths that it can measure, making it unsuitable for certain types of light sources.