Hydrate Composition: Calculating Mole Ratio of Water and Copper Sulfate

• Thread starter sweet21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composition
In summary, to find the mole ratio between water and copper sulfate when given .283 moles of water and .503 moles of copper sulfate, you need to divide the numbers. However, this may not give the desired answer and it may be necessary to multiply or divide by 1 to get natural numbers. Another suggestion is to use empirical formulas when dealing with experimental measurements.
sweet21
when you have .283 moles of water and .503 moles of copper sulfate, how do you find the mole ratio between the water and coopper sulfate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing the numbers.

I don't think that's the answer you are looking for, but I have no idea what the real question is.

You need to multiply or divide (EXCLUSIVE OR) the ratio by 1 so that each part is a natural number, or as close to natural numbers as reasonably possible.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
You need to multiply or divide (EXCLUSIVE OR) the ratio by 1 so that each part is a natural number, or as close to natural numbers as reasonably possible.

I am sure that's not what you have aimed at. Multiplying or dividing by 1 doesn't change the situation :wink:

My first idea was too that sweet should look for integer ratio, but numbers shown (283/503) lead nowhere.

Borek said:
I am sure that's not what you have aimed at. Multiplying or dividing by 1 doesn't change the situation :wink:

My first idea was too that sweet should look for integer ratio, but numbers shown (283/503) lead nowhere.

1 is a rational number which can be expressed as N/N for any real number N.

I did not actually try to solve the original poster's question; only offered a commonly used suggestion. If he is trying to process experimental measurements, some of the data could have errors, even somewhat small errors.

ok, I think i got it now, we had to use emperical formulas, my teacher helped me out a little bit, now i think i know what I am doing...:uhh:

What is a hydrate?

A hydrate is a compound that has water molecules bonded to its structure. These water molecules are known as "water of hydration" and are typically present in a specific ratio to the other molecules in the compound.

What is the composition of hydrates?

The composition of hydrates can vary, but they typically consist of an ionic compound (such as a salt) and water molecules. The ratio of water molecules to the other molecules in the compound is known as the "molar ratio."

How are hydrates formed?

Hydrates are formed when an ionic compound is dissolved in water. The water molecules are attracted to the charged ions in the compound and become incorporated into the crystal structure, forming a hydrate.

What is the purpose of studying hydrates?

Studying hydrates is important for understanding their properties and behavior, as well as their potential uses in various industries. Hydrates also play a role in many natural processes, such as weathering and the water cycle.

Why is the composition of hydrates important?

The composition of hydrates is important because it affects their physical and chemical properties. The amount of water present in a hydrate can influence its color, melting point, solubility, and other characteristics. Understanding the composition of hydrates is crucial for predicting and controlling their behavior in various applications.