Simple degenerate perturbation problem.

In summary, when dealing with a small J, the perturbation theory approach is still applicable. The perturbation Hamiltonian is H1 = J S1.S2 and the unperturbed Hamiltonian is H0 = S1.B. The parameter k in this case is J and you can use first-order perturbation theory to calculate the energy shifts for the states.
Vkun

Homework Statement

I have two particles with spin 1/2 and the following Hamiltonian:

H = J S1.S2 + S1.B

Now getting an exact solution is not a problem, however I need to use pertubation theory in the limit case when J is small.

Homework Equations

Just your standard perturbation theory.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the limit case was small B, then I can use standard perturbation theory for the 00 state, and degenerate theory for 10,11,1-1 states since

H = H0 + k H1 and in this case k=B and if H0 has degenerate eigenvalues I need to use the degenerate perturbation for the 3 states.

Now if J is small, how do I approach the problem? Do I need to check separate cases? Does J = k in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org

In the limit case when J is small, the perturbation theory approach will still be applicable. You will need to consider the perturbation Hamiltonian as H1 = J S1.S2 and the unperturbed Hamiltonian as H0 = S1.B. The parameter k in this case will be J, so you can follow the same steps as you did for the small B case. However, since S1.B does not have degenerate eigenvalues, you will not need to use degenerate perturbation theory. You can simply use first-order perturbation theory to calculate the energy shifts for the states. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is a simple degenerate perturbation problem?

A simple degenerate perturbation problem is a type of problem in quantum mechanics where the perturbation parameter is small and the unperturbed system has two or more degenerate energy levels.

2. How is a simple degenerate perturbation problem solved?

The solution to a simple degenerate perturbation problem involves diagonalizing the perturbation Hamiltonian and finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These eigenvectors represent the perturbed energy levels.

3. What is the significance of degeneracy in a perturbation problem?

Degeneracy in a perturbation problem means that there are multiple energy levels with the same energy in the unperturbed system. This can lead to unexpected and interesting effects in the perturbed system.

4. Can a simple degenerate perturbation problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple degenerate perturbation problem can have multiple solutions depending on the perturbation parameter and the degeneracy of the unperturbed system.

5. How is a simple degenerate perturbation problem different from a regular perturbation problem?

A simple degenerate perturbation problem is different from a regular perturbation problem in that the unperturbed system has degenerate energy levels. This means that the perturbed energy levels will be affected differently than in a regular perturbation problem.